Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fringe Field of an asymmetrical parallel capacitor

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    I have a problem bothering me for a long time. Here it is: suppose I have an asymmetrical parallel plate capacitor with one electrode much larger than the other. For example, the capacitor could be made by depositing small-area metal electrode on heavily doped wafer with 300 nm thermal oxide. Is there a way to calculate the fringe field component parallel to the SiO2 surface at the edge of the small metal electrode? A figure is attached to make the question clear. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

clem

Science Advisor

The bottom electrode seems large enough to consider as an infinite plane.
    Then you could use an image electrode, so the the field would be that of a capacitor with a
    6 nm gap.

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    Thanks. Could you please give some details on how you got the 6 nm thickness?

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry. I meant 600 nm, twice the space on the picture.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5
    Sorry I am still a little bit confused. Is the field calculated with 600 nm thickness vertical or horizontal? I am interested in the horizontal fringe field.

7. Nov 9, 2007 #6

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not an easy calculation, but you calculate the fringe field of a symmetric capacitor with 600 nm between the plates.

8. Nov 9, 2007 #7
    Thanks, I will try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?