Fringe with of interference pattern

In summary, the fringe width of an interference pattern created by two coherent sources, 1mm apart and emitting light of wavelength 600 nm, observed on a screen 50cm from the sources, is calculated using the equation x = dλ/a and found to be 3*10^-4m.
looi76

Homework Statement

Calculate the fringe width of an interference pattern created by two coherent source, 1mm apart and emitting light of wavelength 600 nm. the pattern is observed on a screen 50cm from the source

Homework Equations

x = dλ/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you must have some idea since you know the equation.

λ = wavelength, can you tell me what does x, d and a represent.

looi76 said:
λ = wavelength, can you tell me what does x, d and a represent.
x represents the width of the fringe, d represents the distance between the slits and the screen; and a represents the slit separation. Surely you have a textbook and/or class notes?

Thanks Hootenanny... I think I got it...

d = 50cm , a = 1mm , λ = 600nm

d = 50*10^-2m
a = 1*10^-3m
λ = 600*10^-9m

= (600*10^-9*50*10^-2)/(1*10^-3)
= 3*10^-4m

Looks good to me :smile:

Related to Fringe with of interference pattern

1. What is the fringe width of an interference pattern?

The fringe width of an interference pattern is the distance between two adjacent bright or dark fringes on the pattern. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or millimeters.

2. How is the fringe width determined?

The fringe width is determined by the wavelength of the light source and the distance between the two slits or obstacles used to create the interference pattern. It can be calculated using the equation: fringe width = (wavelength * distance to screen) / distance between slits or obstacles.

3. What factors affect the fringe width?

The fringe width is primarily affected by the wavelength of the light used and the distance between the slits or obstacles. Other factors that can affect it include the intensity and coherence of the light source, and any interference from surrounding objects or surfaces.

4. How does the fringe width relate to the visibility of the interference pattern?

The visibility of an interference pattern is directly related to the fringe width. A larger fringe width means that the bright and dark fringes will be more spread out and easier to see, while a smaller fringe width will result in a pattern that is more difficult to discern.

5. Can the fringe width be manipulated?

Yes, the fringe width can be manipulated by changing the distance between the slits or obstacles, or by using a different light source with a different wavelength. It can also be affected by altering the intensity or coherence of the light. In some cases, the use of special filters or lenses can also modify the fringe width.