Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FRW. Dark energy, negative pressure or density?

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    <<Mentor note: Edited for readability.>>
    <<Follow-up: futher edited to fix LaTeX tags>>

Context: FRW Metric /universe, perfect comological fluid , dark/vacuum energy

So the equation of state ## w \rho=p, w=-1, \rho=-p##
    so this clealy implies either ##p## or ##\rho## is negative.
    Am I correct in thinking which it is, depends on the cosmological constant?
    So ##cosmo constant >0, \rho>0, p<0##
    ##cosmo constant <0, \rho <0, p>0?##

Now I look at a Friedmann equation given by: ##\Omega -1 = \frac{k}{H^2a^2} ##, where ## \Omega = \frac{\rho}{\rho_{c}} ##, ##H=\frac{\dot{a^{2}}}{a^{2}} ##

and solving for ##a## as a function of ##t## for ##cosmo constant >0##, my book says that in this case ##\Omega <0 ## ( which I understand if my above reasoning is correct) and so from the Friedmann equation this is only possible if ##k=-1 ##. So this is fine, I agree , but the denominator needs to be greater than zero.

Anyway, it than solves for ## cosmo constant >0 ##, and says all ## k=-1,0,1 ## are fine. This is my QUESTION. I dont understand how ##k=-1## can be okay for both ##cosmo constant >0, <0 ## which in turn say different things above which of ## \rho ## and ##p## are negative and positive.

Thanks very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to fix those Latex tags or else this is pretty unreadable...

I see a note by a mentor saying it's been edited for readability, but this still looks pretty unreadable to me.

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

I think you mean for ##cosmo constant < 0##, correct? That's the case for which ##\rho < 0##, which makes ##\Omega < 0##.

##k## describes the spatial curvature; it doesn't describe either the density or the pressure associated with the cosmological constant. All this is saying is that "open" spatial slices (i.e., negative spatial curvature) are compatible with both a positive and negative cosmological constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook