Dark Energy: Negative Pressure or Density?

In summary: Thus, the possible values for ##k## are the same for both cases, but the values for ##\rho## and ##p## are different.In summary, the discussion is about the equation of state for a perfect cosmological fluid with a cosmological constant. The equation of state is ##w\rho=p##, where ##w=-1## and ##\rho=-p##. Depending on the value of the cosmological constant, either ##\rho## or ##p## will be negative. The Friedmann equation is also mentioned, which relates the density and the Hubble parameter. The book mentions that for a positive cosmological constant, ##\Omega<0##, which is only possible if the spatial curvature ##k
binbagsss
<<Mentor note: Edited for readability.>>
<<Follow-up: futher edited to fix LaTeX tags>>

Context: FRW Metric /universe, perfect comological fluid , dark/vacuum energy

So the equation of state ## w \rho=p, w=-1, \rho=-p##
so this clealy implies either ##p## or ##\rho## is negative.
Am I correct in thinking which it is, depends on the cosmological constant?
So ##cosmo constant >0, \rho>0, p<0##
##cosmo constant <0, \rho <0, p>0?##

Now I look at a Friedmann equation given by: ##\Omega -1 = \frac{k}{H^2a^2} ##, where ## \Omega = \frac{\rho}{\rho_{c}} ##, ##H=\frac{\dot{a^{2}}}{a^{2}} ##

and solving for ##a## as a function of ##t## for ##cosmo constant >0##, my book says that in this case ##\Omega <0 ## ( which I understand if my above reasoning is correct) and so from the Friedmann equation this is only possible if ##k=-1 ##. So this is fine, I agree , but the denominator needs to be greater than zero.

Anyway, it than solves for ## cosmo constant >0 ##, and says all ## k=-1,0,1 ## are fine. This is my QUESTION. I don't understand how ##k=-1## can be okay for both ##cosmo constant >0, <0 ## which in turn say different things above which of ## \rho ## and ##p## are negative and positive.

Thanks very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to fix those Latex tags or else this is pretty unreadable...

I see a note by a mentor saying it's been edited for readability, but this still looks pretty unreadable to me.

binbagsss said:
So ##cosmoconstant>0,\rho>0,p<0##

##cosmoconstant <0, \rho<0, p>0##?

Yes.

binbagsss said:
solving for ##a## as a function of ##t## for ##cosmo constant >0##, my book says that in this case ##\Omega<0##

I think you mean for ##cosmo constant < 0##, correct? That's the case for which ##\rho < 0##, which makes ##\Omega < 0##.

binbagsss said:
I don't understand how ##k=-1## can be okay for both ##cosmo constant >0, < 0##

##k## describes the spatial curvature; it doesn't describe either the density or the pressure associated with the cosmological constant. All this is saying is that "open" spatial slices (i.e., negative spatial curvature) are compatible with both a positive and negative cosmological constant.

FAQ: Dark Energy: Negative Pressure or Density?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. Is dark energy the same as dark matter?

No, dark energy and dark matter are two different concepts. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or interact with light, while dark energy is a form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe.

3. Is dark energy a negative pressure or a density?

This is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that dark energy has negative pressure, while others propose that it has a constant energy density. More research is needed to determine the true nature of dark energy.

4. How was dark energy discovered?

Dark energy was first proposed in the late 1990s to explain the unexpected observation that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This discovery was made by two independent teams of astronomers who were studying distant supernovae.

5. Can dark energy be harnessed for practical use?

As dark energy is still a theoretical concept, it is not currently possible to harness it for practical use. However, understanding the nature of dark energy could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.