Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FRW metric derivation Q, Ricci vector algebra

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    I'm looking at: http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf,

deriving the FRW metric, and I don't fully understand how the Ricci Vectors eq 8.5 can be attained from 7.16, by setting ##\partial_{0} \beta ## and ##\alpha=0##

I see that any christoffel symbol with a ##0## vanish and so so do any Riemann tensors with a ##0##, and so only Ricci vectors with ##1,2,3## indices will be non-zero

However, I thought the metric used to compute the Ricci vectors in eq 7.16 - 7.13- would need to reduce to 8.4.
    So I see ##\beta(t,r) -> \beta(t) ##, but I thought also the ##dt^{2}## coefficient would also have to vanish?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It does. But that portion of the metric is only the spatial portion, with the ##t## dependence already factored out. See below.

I think you mean ##\beta(r)##, correct? In equation 8.4, ##\beta## is a function of ##r## only; the ##t## dependence was already factored out in equation 8.1. See below.

Setting ##\alpha = 0## means the coefficient of ##dt^2##, which is ##- e^{2 \alpha}##, becomes ##-1##. That's what is shown in equation 8.1, which also factors out the ##t## dependence of the spatial part of the metric into the scale factor ##a(t)##. Equation 8.4 is then just an equation for what's left in the spatial part in 8.1, i.e., the function ##\gamma_{ij}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook