Deriving FRW Metric: Ricci Vector Algebra Explained

In summary: The Ricci vectors in equation 8.5 can be derived from 7.16 by setting ##\partial_0 \beta = 0## and ##\alpha = 0##. In summary, the Ricci vectors in equation 8.5 can be attained from 7.16 by setting ##\partial_0 \beta## and ##\alpha = 0##, and the metric used to compute them reduces to 8.4. This is because in 8.4, the spatial part of the metric already has the ##t## dependence factored out, and in 8.5, the Ricci vectors are only non-zero for indices 1,2,3.
binbagsss
I'm looking at: http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf,

deriving the FRW metric, and I don't fully understand how the Ricci Vectors eq 8.5 can be attained from 7.16, by setting ##\partial_{0} \beta ## and ##\alpha=0##

I see that any christoffel symbol with a ##0## vanish and so so do any Riemann tensors with a ##0##, and so only Ricci vectors with ##1,2,3## indices will be non-zero

However, I thought the metric used to compute the Ricci vectors in eq 7.16 - 7.13- would need to reduce to 8.4.
So I see ##\beta(t,r) -> \beta(t) ##, but I thought also the ##dt^{2}## coefficient would also have to vanish?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
I thought the metric used to compute the Ricci vectors in eq 7.16 - 7.13- would need to reduce to 8.4.

It does. But that portion of the metric is only the spatial portion, with the ##t## dependence already factored out. See below.

binbagsss said:
I see ##\beta(t,r) -> \beta(t)## ,

I think you mean ##\beta(r)##, correct? In equation 8.4, ##\beta## is a function of ##r## only; the ##t## dependence was already factored out in equation 8.1. See below.

binbagsss said:
I thought also the ##dt^{2}## coefficient would also have to vanish?

Setting ##\alpha = 0## means the coefficient of ##dt^2##, which is ##- e^{2 \alpha}##, becomes ##-1##. That's what is shown in equation 8.1, which also factors out the ##t## dependence of the spatial part of the metric into the scale factor ##a(t)##. Equation 8.4 is then just an equation for what's left in the spatial part in 8.1, i.e., the function ##\gamma_{ij}##.

Related to Deriving FRW Metric: Ricci Vector Algebra Explained

1. What is the FRW metric in general relativity?

The FRW (Friedmann-Robertson-Walker) metric is a solution to the Einstein field equations in general relativity that describes the geometry of the universe. It is based on the assumption that the universe is homogeneous (the same everywhere) and isotropic (the same in all directions) on large scales.

2. How is the FRW metric derived?

The FRW metric is derived by using the Ricci vector algebra, which is a mathematical tool for solving the Einstein field equations. The process involves making certain assumptions about the universe, such as its homogeneity and isotropy, and using these assumptions to simplify the equations and solve for the metric.

3. What is the significance of the Ricci vector in deriving the FRW metric?

The Ricci vector is an important component in solving the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy. In the context of deriving the FRW metric, the Ricci vector helps to simplify the equations and solve for the metric that describes the geometry of the universe.

4. What are the implications of the FRW metric for our understanding of the universe?

The FRW metric provides a mathematical framework for understanding the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. It has been used to support the idea of the expanding universe and to explain phenomena such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using the FRW metric to describe the universe?

While the FRW metric has been successful in describing the general structure and evolution of the universe, it does have limitations. For example, it does not account for the presence of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up a significant portion of the universe. Additionally, it assumes a perfect symmetry that may not fully reflect the complexities of our universe.