Definite Integral of p(x,y) with Bounds x>y>0 and dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2)

• Thread starter IsomaDan
  • Start date
In summary: Homework Statement In summary, the function p(x,y) is defined for x ≥ y ≥ 0 and satisfies dp(x,y)/dx = e^-x^2. Additionally, p(y,y) = 0. The task is to write p(x,y) as a definite integral of the form int (f(t)dt, with lower bound t=H and upper bound x. The given information suggests that treating the function as one of x alone may be a good starting point, but the specific approach is unclear. Clarification on the specified domain and any potential typos is needed.
IsomaDan

Homework Statement

The function, p(x;y), of two variables is defined for x>y>0, and satisfies

We furthermore know that dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2)

and that p(y; y) = 0

Homework Equations

I now need to write p(x,y) as a definite integral of the form int (f(t)dt, with lower bound t=H and upper bound x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose I need the info p(y; y) = 0 to get the bounds, but not quite sure how. I sat earlier an evaluated the integral from 0 to inf and from -inf to inf, however I do not see how that could come in handy. I am thinking of treating the function as one of x alone as a start, but do not know how to proceed from there?
Anyone can give me a hint :-) Th

Physics news on Phys.org
IsomaDan said:

Homework Statement

The function, p(x;y), of two variables is defined for x>y>0, and satisfies   ?  

We furthermore know that dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2)

and that p(y; y) = 0

Homework Equations

I now need to write p(x,y) as a definite integral of the form int (f(t)dt, with lower bound t=H and upper bound x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose I need the info p(y; y) = 0 to get the bounds, but not quite sure how. I sat earlier an evaluated the integral from 0 to inf and from -inf to inf, however I do not see how that could come in handy. I am thinking of treating the function as one of x alone as a start, but do not know how to proceed from there?
Anyone can give me a hint :-) Th
Do you really mean x>y>0, or di you mean x>0 and y>0 ?

Does p(x,y) satisfy something in addition to what's stated ?

Check for any other typos you may have, so that your post is more readable.

I meant satisfies "x ≥ y ≥ 0". Don't know where that went.

Sorry for that. All the best

Jonas

IsomaDan said:
I meant satisfies "x ≥ y ≥ 0".
Still doesn't make sense. That's a change to the specified domain of p, not a property of p.

1. What is the definition of definite integral?

The definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a specific interval. It is denoted by ∫f(x)dx and represents the sum of infinitely small areas of a function f(x) between two given bounds.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integral?

The definite integral has specific bounds of integration and gives a numerical value, while the indefinite integral has no bounds and gives a general function with a constant of integration.

3. How is the definite integral calculated?

The definite integral is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function f(x) can be found by evaluating the antiderivative of the function at the bounds of integration. In this case, it would be ∫f(x)dx = F(x) evaluated at x>y>0.

4. What is the significance of the bounds in a definite integral?

The bounds in a definite integral represent the interval over which the area under the curve is being calculated. They determine the starting and ending points for the integration and affect the resulting numerical value of the integral.

5. How does the given condition of dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2) affect the definite integral?

The given condition that dp(x,y)/dx = (e^-x^2) means that the function p(x,y) is the antiderivative of (e^-x^2). This allows us to use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the definite integral and find the numerical value of the area under the curve for the given bounds x>y>0.