Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FTP With IE Problem

1. Feb 18, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm running an FTP server at work on a pretty basic network: the server is really just a file server running Win2k Pro and GuildFTP for the FTP server. We have Comcast Cable and a Belkin router. I have ports 20 and 21 forwarded, but can't (usually) access the FTP server through IE. I get a timeout error. I can access the FTP server though an FTP client - its called SmartFTP. Strangely, once connected via the client, I can then connect through IE. Switching in and out of passive mode doesn't seem to help anything. The client shows the same timeout error but is still able to connect.

I need to be able to connect through IE because I have clients I want to give access and it has to be idiot-proof (a link to the ftp server in an email).

If it helps, the FTP is: ftp://68.42.21.94/ (read, but no write access).

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Feb 18, 2005 #3

russ_watters

My firewall (the belkin router) doesn't have much in the way of options. I already set up port forwarding for ports 20 and 21 (virtual server), but don't see how to allow port commands (though since the error is a timeout error, I'm doubting that's it). Any ideas? And for the port forwarding, TCP or UDP (what are they?)? And I'd rather not put the server outside the hardware firewall with a software firewall (but I might)...

Thanks for the help...

5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

For passive connections you need these ports open:

60000-65000

6. Feb 18, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I just did an nmap scan of your ip and the ftp-data port 20 is closed. That might be your problem.

7. Feb 18, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Hmm. I don't see how that could be - I have the port listed in the "virtual server" section of my router setup page. But then there's also the "Special Application Ports" section - what's the difference?

8. Feb 18, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I don't know the difference. Try adding the ports to that list to see what happens.

Another test you can do is to DMZ the machine and see if it works. If you still have problems then you know it is a server configuration problem and not the firewall.

9. Feb 18, 2005 #8

russ_watters

I'm going to work on it this weekend and if I can't get it to work any other way, I'll DMZ it and set-up a software firewall. Since I only need it for a project that is going to last about a month, I'm not too worried about security that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?