Solving FTP Connectivity Issues with IE

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the FTP server is running Win2k Pro and GuildFTP, is on a basic network with Comcast Cable and a Belkin router, and I can't usually access it through IE. I can access the FTP server though an FTP client - its called SmartFTP. I get a timeout error when trying to connect through IE, but can connect through the client. Switching in and out of passive mode doesn't seem to help. I'm going to work on it this weekend and if I can't get it to work any other way, I'll DMZ it and set-up a software firewall.
russ_watters
Mentor
I'm running an FTP server at work on a pretty basic network: the server is really just a file server running Win2k Pro and GuildFTP for the FTP server. We have Comcast Cable and a Belkin router. I have ports 20 and 21 forwarded, but can't (usually) access the FTP server through IE. I get a timeout error. I can access the FTP server though an FTP client - its called SmartFTP. Strangely, once connected via the client, I can then connect through IE. Switching in and out of passive mode doesn't seem to help anything. The client shows the same timeout error but is still able to connect.

I need to be able to connect through IE because I have clients I want to give access and it has to be idiot-proof (a link to the ftp server in an email).

If it helps, the FTP is: ftp://68.42.21.94/[/URL] (read, but no write access).

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Is your firewall setup correctly?

http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/wuftpd-questions/2001/Nov/0202.html

Last edited by a moderator:
dduardo said:
Is your firewall setup correctly?
My firewall (the belkin router) doesn't have much in the way of options. I already set up port forwarding for ports 20 and 21 (virtual server), but don't see how to allow port commands (though since the error is a timeout error, I'm doubting that's it). Any ideas? And for the port forwarding, TCP or UDP (what are they?)? And I'd rather not put the server outside the hardware firewall with a software firewall (but I might)...

Thanks for the help...

For passive connections you need these ports open:

60000-65000

I just did an nmap scan of your ip and the ftp-data port 20 is closed. That might be your problem.

dduardo said:
I just did an nmap scan of your ip and the ftp-data port 20 is closed. That might be your problem.
Hmm. I don't see how that could be - I have the port listed in the "virtual server" section of my router setup page. But then there's also the "Special Application Ports" section - what's the difference?

I don't know the difference. Try adding the ports to that list to see what happens.

Another test you can do is to DMZ the machine and see if it works. If you still have problems then you know it is a server configuration problem and not the firewall.

dduardo said:
Another test you can do is to DMZ the machine and see if it works. If you still have problems then you know it is a server configuration problem and not the firewall.
I'm going to work on it this weekend and if I can't get it to work any other way, I'll DMZ it and set-up a software firewall. Since I only need it for a project that is going to last about a month, I'm not too worried about security that way.

Related to Solving FTP Connectivity Issues with IE

What could be causing FTP connectivity issues with IE?

There are several possible reasons for FTP connectivity issues with IE. It could be due to incorrect FTP settings, firewall settings blocking FTP connections, outdated browser or network drivers, or server-side issues such as incorrect server address or credentials.

How can I troubleshoot FTP connectivity issues with IE?

To troubleshoot FTP connectivity issues with IE, you can start by checking your FTP settings and making sure they are correct. Then, you can try disabling your firewall temporarily to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, try updating your browser and network drivers. You can also try accessing the FTP server from another browser or device to see if the issue is specific to IE.

What should I do if I can't connect to an FTP server using IE?

If you are unable to connect to an FTP server using IE, you can try the following steps: check your FTP settings, disable your firewall temporarily, update your browser and network drivers, and try accessing the server from another browser or device. If none of these solutions work, there may be an issue with the FTP server itself, and you may need to contact the server administrator for assistance.

How can I ensure secure FTP connections with IE?

To ensure secure FTP connections with IE, you can use FTPS (FTP over SSL) instead of regular FTP. This will encrypt your data during transfer, making it more secure. You can also enable Windows Firewall to allow FTP traffic and configure it to only allow connections from known and trusted FTP servers. Additionally, using strong and unique login credentials can help increase the security of your FTP connections.

Are there any alternative FTP clients that I can use with IE?

Yes, there are several alternative FTP clients that you can use with IE, such as FileZilla, Cyberduck, and WinSCP. These clients offer more features and customization options than the built-in FTP functionality in IE. However, if you prefer to use IE, you can also try adjusting your IE settings or updating your browser to resolve any FTP connectivity issues.