Fuel Cell Efficiency: Average Output for Cars, Homes, & More

In summary, the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell on the scale that would power a car, motorcycle, or provide most of the electrical needs of an average home is typically between 50-80%. However, this is limited by the maximum theoretical efficiency of converting hydrogen chemical energy to electrical energy, which is around 83%. To achieve higher efficiencies, the rejected heat from the fuel cell reaction could potentially be captured and used for additional work. However, current production cells have not reached this level of efficiency.
Savage1701
I understand that generating the hydrogen that powers a typical fuel cell is (prohibitively?) energy intensive at this point, but I was curious about the following:

Assuming a sufficiently efficient catalyst was obtained that allowed large-scale production of pure hydrogen without environmentally damaging by-products, what is the efficiency, on average, of a hydrogen fuel cell on the scale that would power a car, motorcycle, or even provide most of the electrical needs of the average home?

Just curious. Not a homework question, and I hope I have the correct forum area to be posting this question into.

Thank you in advance for any help in answering this question for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fuel cells operate on the 50-80% efficiency range.

The maximum theoretical efficiency in terms only of electrical energy output per joule of hydrogen chemical energy presented to the cell is limited by the http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/helmholtz.html#c2". I am unaware of any production cell coming anywhere close to that point so far. If the rejected heat of the fuel cell reaction is somehow captured and used to do more work, then the theoretical overall system efficiency can be higher than 83%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for your time and replies.

And yes, I should have been more specific. I was asssuming electrical output only, not non-recapturable and/or unuseable heat loss or further conversion loss when that electrical output drives a motor in a vehicle or lights a bulb, etc.

Again, thank you for your time answering a rather poorly posed question.

1. What is a fuel cell and how does it work?

A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy of a fuel, such as hydrogen, into electrical energy. It consists of two electrodes, an anode and a cathode, separated by an electrolyte. When hydrogen is supplied to the anode and oxygen to the cathode, a chemical reaction occurs that produces electricity, heat, and water as byproducts.

2. What is the average efficiency of a fuel cell for cars?

The average efficiency of a fuel cell for cars is around 60%, meaning that 60% of the chemical energy from the fuel is converted into electrical energy. This is significantly higher than the average efficiency of a traditional internal combustion engine, which is only around 20%.

3. How does the efficiency of a fuel cell for homes compare to that of a car?

The efficiency of a fuel cell for homes can vary depending on the size and type of fuel cell. On average, residential fuel cells have an efficiency of around 40-60%, which is similar to that of a fuel cell for cars. However, larger industrial or commercial fuel cells can have efficiencies of up to 85%.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of a fuel cell?

The efficiency of a fuel cell can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel used, the temperature and pressure of the fuel cell, and the design of the fuel cell itself. Higher temperatures and pressures typically result in higher efficiencies. Additionally, the purity of the fuel and the quality of the electrodes and electrolyte can also impact efficiency.

5. What are some potential applications for fuel cells?

Fuel cells have a wide range of potential applications, including powering cars, homes, and other buildings, as well as providing electricity for remote or off-grid locations. They can also be used in portable devices such as laptops and cell phones. Fuel cells are also being explored for use in larger-scale power plants to generate electricity for the grid.