Fuel evaporation in a tank - Pressure calculation

In summary, a person is seeking help with calculating the equilibrium pressure between the liquid and gas phases of a fuel tank. The temperature of the liquid phase is changing over time and causing the fuel to evaporate, but the exact law is unknown. The person is wondering if their assumption of air being the gas phase is correct and is looking for a solution to calculate the equilibrium pressure based on temperature changes.
Kapopadu
Hello everybody,

I have the following problem:

I have a fuel tank, with a liquid phase (the fuel) and gas phase at To and P0, where T is temperature and P pressure. I assume that the gas phase at the instant t=t0 is air.
(Is this assumption correct?)

The temperature of the liquid phase varies over the time with a certain profile from T0 to Tend.
The fuel due to the increasing of the temperature evaporates with a certain law (most probably unknown).

How can I calculate the equilibrium pressure between the two phases according to the temperature changes over the time?

Thanks in advance,
K

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I would think you wouldn't calculate it but rather just look up the vapor pressure in a table of the fuel's properties.

1. How does fuel evaporation occur in a tank?

Fuel evaporation in a tank occurs when the liquid fuel is exposed to air and heat, causing it to vaporize and escape from the tank as gas. This process is influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of fuel being used.

2. What is the importance of calculating pressure in a fuel tank?

Calculating the pressure in a fuel tank is important for several reasons. It helps determine the amount of fuel that can be stored in the tank, as well as the rate of evaporation. It also plays a role in the safety and efficiency of the fuel system, as high pressures can lead to leaks or malfunctioning of the tank.

3. How is pressure calculated in a fuel tank?

The pressure in a fuel tank is typically calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the temperature and the number of moles of gas in the tank, and inversely proportional to the volume of the tank. This formula can be used to determine the pressure of the fuel vapor inside the tank at a given temperature.

4. What factors can affect the rate of fuel evaporation in a tank?

The rate of fuel evaporation in a tank can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, humidity, and the type of fuel being used. Higher temperatures and low pressures can accelerate the rate of evaporation, while humidity can slow it down. In addition, lighter fuels such as gasoline tend to evaporate more quickly than heavier fuels like diesel.

5. How can fuel evaporation in a tank be minimized?

To minimize fuel evaporation in a tank, it is important to keep the tank sealed and at a steady temperature. This can be achieved by using a properly fitting fuel cap and avoiding prolonged exposure to high temperatures. It is also recommended to use fuel with a lower vapor pressure and to regularly maintain the fuel system to prevent leaks or other issues that could contribute to evaporation.