Full-cone as topological space

In summary: Basically removing a point from an ##\mathbb R^2## disk we get a connected set. Yet the set attained removing the apex from a double cone is not.
cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
Full-cone topological space but not topological manifold
Hello,

consider a full-cone (let me say a cone including bottom half, upper half and the vertex) embedded in ##E^3##. We can endow it with the topology induced by ##E^3## defining its open sets as the intersections between ##E^3## open sets (euclidean topology) and the full-cone thought itself as subset of ##E^3##. This way it has topological space structure.

Nevertheless I believe it is not a topological manifold because any neighborhood of the vertex cannot be homeomorphic to ##E^3## or one of its open subset.

Is that correct ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The space that the cone embedded in ##E^3## is locally homeomorphic to everywhere but at the apex is ##E^2##, not ##E^3##.

It is true that the cone is not locally homeomorphic to either ##E^2## or ##E^3## at the apex.

Orodruin said:
The space that the cone embedded in ##E^3## is locally homeomorphic to everywhere but at the apex is ##E^2##, not ##E^3##.
yes, sure.

cianfa72 said:
Summary: Full-cone topological space but not topological manifold

Hello,

consider a full-cone (let me say a cone including bottom half, upper half and the vertex) embedded in ##E^3##. We can endow it with the topology induced by ##E^3## defining its open sets as the intersections between ##E^3## open sets (euclidean topology) and the full-cone thought itself as subset of ##E^3##. This way it has topological space structure.

Nevertheless I believe it is not a topological manifold because any neighborhood of the vertex cannot be homeomorphic to ##E^3## or one of its open subset.

Is that correct ? Thanks
The cone (one half) is homeomorphic to a ball or a cube. It is topologically a compact subset of ##\mathbf{E}^3##. Inner points are locally homeomorphic to ##\mathbf{E}^3##, boundary points to ##\mathbf{E}^2##.

The vertex is no specific point from a topological point of view, except that it is on the boundary.

The cone is no analytic manifold, but it is a topological manifold, or a compact, connected subset of one to be precise.

fresh_42 said:
The cone (one half) is homeomorphic to a ball or a cube. It is topologically a compact subset of ##\mathbf{E}^3##. Inner points are locally homeomorphic to ##\mathbf{E}^3##, boundary points to ##\mathbf{E}^2##.

The vertex is no specific point from a topological point of view, except that it is on the boundary.

The cone is no analytic manifold, but it is a topological manifold, or a compact, connected subset of one to be precise.
He is considering a double cone, joined at the apex. I.e., style light-cone:

cianfa72 said:
Summary: Full-cone topological space but not topological manifold

Hello,

Is that correct ? Thanks

Have you come up with a proof?

lavinia said:
Have you come up with a proof?
Basically removing a point from an ##\mathbb R^2## disk we get a connected set. Yet the set attained removing the apex from a double cone is not.

Yes, I think in general an n-manifold must have an n- or (n-1)-dimensional cutset. A 1-ball ( interval) can be separated by a single point., a 2-ball must be separated by a line(segment), etc.

1. What is a full-cone as topological space?

A full-cone as topological space is a mathematical concept that represents a cone-shaped object with a base and a vertex. It is a type of topological space, which is a mathematical structure that describes the properties of a space, such as continuity and connectivity.

2. How is a full-cone as topological space different from a regular cone?

A full-cone as topological space is a purely mathematical concept and does not have a physical representation like a regular cone. It is defined by its topological properties, such as its open sets and continuous functions, rather than its geometric features.

3. What are the applications of full-cone as topological space?

Full-cone as topological space has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to study the properties of surfaces, networks, and other complex structures. It is also used in computer graphics and simulations to model and manipulate 3D objects.

4. How is a full-cone as topological space defined?

A full-cone as topological space is defined as a set of points, along with a collection of open sets that satisfy certain axioms, such as the closure axioms and the Hausdorff axiom. These axioms ensure that the space has the desired topological properties.

5. Can a full-cone as topological space have holes or gaps?

No, a full-cone as topological space is a continuous, connected structure, so it cannot have any holes or gaps. However, it can have singularities, which are points that do not have a well-defined neighborhood in the space.