1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full course of Vector Analysis vs Griffith Text self study?

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    Senior in Fall. Is a full course on vector analysis necessary: Stockes theorem, Green Theorem, differential forms, etc.
    I feel like Griffith's Electrodynamics gives a sufficient overview of Vector analysis in Chapter 1 covering all you need. I've only taken the required Calc 1 - 3 sequence + odes and find I learn most of my math "on the spot" otherwise it goes out the door but many encourage me to take as much math as possible. I rather focus on my upper levels this semester: Atomic Physics and Thermal but I'd like your take on it.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Didn't your Calculus III course cover partial derivatives, div, grad, curl, and surface, volume and line integrals? If it did, then you should be fine with Griffiths. The material in chapter 1 (or is it 2?) is intended as a review.

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are gauging whether you are prepared or not based upon Griffith's Electrodynamics, I suspect NOT. While Griffith's is an okay book, it is not rigorous or deep. In fact, it is considered a fluff book in comparison to many others, especially Jackson. Look over a copy of Jackson's and try to do a few of the easier problems. If you succeed, I am probably wrong in your case, and you are adequately prepared to blow off any further study.

5. Jul 23, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

...which of course depends on what he's trying to prepare for. Based on a hasty reading, I assumed he was trying to prepare for Griffiths E&M. If he's looking to prepare mathematically for grad school, that's another matter!

6. Jul 23, 2015 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This is stupendously terrible advice. OP please don't heed this. Griffiths is an excellent and deep text. Anyone who considers Jackson deep has clearly never done Jackson.

The calculus sequence you have taken should be enough. Vector calculus is an easy enough subject that the review in chapter 1 will suffice if you've already finished the calculus sequence.

7. Jul 23, 2015 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Jackson, making you question your entire path in life in one course.

8. Jul 24, 2015 #7

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Mea culpa. I certainly came out harsh with my advice. If I he is preparing for Griffith's E&M as jtbell surmises, he is prepared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook