1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full-time work/school - CS

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

So I'm at the cusp of transferring to a UC and making a game attempt at a BS CS. I've spent the past couple of years working full-time hours (night shift) while taking 12-15 units at a CC. Naturally I'm assuming the rigor of upper division CS courses at the UC level compared to the lower division CS courses I've taken is analogous to Hulk Hogan vs. <insert randomized name of poor schmuck used for elbow drop practice>, and I guess I'm wondering which route to take as far as scheduling is concerned.

I'm fortunate to be employed in a position that allows for a decent amount of on-the-clock study, and my immediate supervisors are actually encouraging in that regard. Because I work nights, class hour conflicts aren't an issue. I'm tentatively planning on taking 3 courses a quarter, though the option is there for 10 or less (part-time). What concerns me about the latter option is that 2 classes a quarter just seems insufficient, as my entire life consists of work, studying, appeasing the old lady, and that's about it. I'm just concerned that 3 upper division CS classes at a UC might simply be too time-consuming to handle. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

FWIW, My overall GPA thus far at CC is hovering around a 3.6 (past apathy-induced C's in humanities courses), with my major GPA closer to a 3.8.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider other options, such as quitting your job and taking out Stafford loans so you can live for the next couple of years. You're in a major that makes you pretty employable, so taking on some debt shouldn't be too scary.

I went to a UC and now teach at a community college in California. Yes, they are worlds apart. What worked for you at a CC will not work at a UC.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook