Is balancing full-time work and school while pursuing a CS degree manageable?

• Thread starter csnoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to manage their course load while transferring to a UC and pursuing a BS in CS. They have been working full-time while taking classes at a CC and are concerned about the rigor of upper division CS courses at a UC. They have the option to take 3 courses per quarter or less, but are worried about managing their time. Other options are suggested, such as quitting their job and taking out loans. The speaker, who teaches at a community college, advises that the transition from CC to UC will be challenging but achievable.
csnoob
Hi all,

So I'm at the cusp of transferring to a UC and making a game attempt at a BS CS. I've spent the past couple of years working full-time hours (night shift) while taking 12-15 units at a CC. Naturally I'm assuming the rigor of upper division CS courses at the UC level compared to the lower division CS courses I've taken is analogous to Hulk Hogan vs. <insert randomized name of poor schmuck used for elbow drop practice>, and I guess I'm wondering which route to take as far as scheduling is concerned.

I'm fortunate to be employed in a position that allows for a decent amount of on-the-clock study, and my immediate supervisors are actually encouraging in that regard. Because I work nights, class hour conflicts aren't an issue. I'm tentatively planning on taking 3 courses a quarter, though the option is there for 10 or less (part-time). What concerns me about the latter option is that 2 classes a quarter just seems insufficient, as my entire life consists of work, studying, appeasing the old lady, and that's about it. I'm just concerned that 3 upper division CS classes at a UC might simply be too time-consuming to handle. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

FWIW, My overall GPA thus far at CC is hovering around a 3.6 (past apathy-induced C's in humanities courses), with my major GPA closer to a 3.8.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider other options, such as quitting your job and taking out Stafford loans so you can live for the next couple of years. You're in a major that makes you pretty employable, so taking on some debt shouldn't be too scary.

I went to a UC and now teach at a community college in California. Yes, they are worlds apart. What worked for you at a CC will not work at a UC.

What is the difference between full-time work and full-time school in the field of Computer Science?

Full-time work typically refers to a job in the computer science industry where an individual is employed by a company and works a set number of hours per week. Full-time school, on the other hand, refers to attending a university or college full-time to obtain a degree in computer science. Both options involve learning and practicing computer science skills, but in different settings.

How many hours per week is considered full-time work or school in the field of Computer Science?

In most industrialized countries, full-time work is typically defined as working 35-40 hours per week. However, in some companies, full-time work in the field of computer science may involve longer hours, especially if the job requires meeting strict deadlines or working on complex projects. Full-time school in computer science usually involves attending classes and labs for 35-40 hours per week.

What are the benefits of working or studying full-time in the field of Computer Science?

Working full-time in computer science can provide a stable income, benefits, and opportunities for career advancement. It also allows individuals to gain real-world experience and apply their skills in a professional setting. Studying full-time in computer science allows individuals to immerse themselves in the subject and gain a comprehensive understanding of the field, as well as network with peers and potential employers.

What are the challenges of balancing full-time work and full-time school in the field of Computer Science?

Balancing full-time work and full-time school can be challenging, as it requires efficient time management and the ability to handle a heavy workload. It can also lead to a lack of free time and increased stress levels. Additionally, individuals may find it challenging to keep up with the fast-paced nature of the computer science industry while also juggling school responsibilities.

Can I pursue a part-time work or school schedule in the field of Computer Science?

Yes, there are options for part-time work and school in the field of computer science. Part-time work may be ideal for individuals who are looking to gain experience while still attending school, or for those who have other commitments. Part-time school may be suitable for individuals who need a more flexible schedule, such as those who are working or have family responsibilities. However, it may take longer to complete a degree or advance in a career with a part-time schedule.