1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fun Wave Eqn, Seperable Solution, Wave Guide

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Boundaries at x=0,a y=0,b
    This is a waveguide. w = angular frequency and k is the wavenumber.
    Have the seperable solution to the wave equation.

[itex]\psi[/itex] = X(x)Y(y)e[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex]

Where w=c[itex]\sqrt{k^{2}+\pi^{2}\left(\frac{n^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{m^{2}}{a^{2}}\right)}[/itex]

I just need help with figuring out how to get this to an ODE and I should be able to figure out the boundary conditions. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{xx}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{yy}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{c^{2}}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{tt}[/itex]=o

Plugging in

X''Ye[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] + Y''Xe[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] - k[itex]^{2}[/itex]XYe[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex]XYe[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] = 0

Now dividing by XY and factoring out e[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex]

e[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex][itex][ \frac{X''}{X}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{Y''}{Y}[/itex] - k[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}][/itex] = 0

Does k[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex] necessarily?

Do I set [itex]\frac{X''}{X} = \alpha[/itex] and [itex]\frac{Y''}{Y} = \beta[/itex]
    where [itex]\alpha , \beta[/itex] are constants and solve these ODE's. Doesn't seem to get me where I want to go though.

Any advice would be very awesome. Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted