Function Composition: Solving Quadratic Formulas with Radicals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to handle a polynomial multiplied by a radical. The conversation suggests either factoring the polynomial or multiplying it with the radical, depending on the desired outcome.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

(-3x^2-15x-12)(√5)

Homework Equations

Quadratic formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

hmm, i know how to solve the first set of bracets, but what do i do with the radical? how do i multiply it to the polynomial?

Physics news on Phys.org
all you have to do is multiply it to the two solutions
so say the factored quadratic is (x-4)(x+4), so the solutions are 4 and -4. just multiply the rad5 to those two answers.

dance_sg said:

Homework Statement

(-3x^2-15x-12)(√5)

Homework Equations

Quadratic formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

hmm, i know how to solve the first set of bracets, but what do i do with the radical? how do i multiply it to the polynomial?

What are you trying to do here? About all you can do with what you've provided is factor the quadratic or multiply the quadratic by sqrt(5). You are not "solving" the first set of brackets - to solve an equation you first off need an equation, which you don't have.

1. What is function composition?

Function composition is the process of combining two or more functions to create a new function. This new function takes the output of one function and uses it as the input for the other function.

2. How do you solve quadratic formulas with radicals using function composition?

To solve a quadratic formula with radicals using function composition, you would first rewrite the formula in terms of a single variable. Then, you would use the composition of functions to replace the variable with a function, and simplify the resulting function until you can solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the steps for solving a quadratic formula with radicals using function composition?

The steps for solving a quadratic formula with radicals using function composition are as follows:1. Rewrite the formula in terms of a single variable.2. Replace the variable with a function using the composition of functions.3. Simplify the resulting function.4. Solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can you use function composition to solve all quadratic formulas with radicals?

Yes, function composition can be used to solve all quadratic formulas with radicals. However, the process may become more complex for certain formulas, and may require multiple compositions of functions to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using function composition to solve quadratic formulas with radicals?

One limitation of using function composition to solve quadratic formulas with radicals is that it may not always result in an exact solution. In some cases, the resulting function may have complex or irrational solutions that cannot be expressed in radical form.