Function of the Electromagnetic spectrum

In summary, the OP was trying to find a function that has a similar shape to the Electromagnetic spectrum, but found out that there is no such function. There is a different function for each different frequency, and the spectrum of a chirp does not look like the image he showed.
Gjmdp
Hello. I was playing with functions one aftenoon until I got this one: f(x) = sin(tan(log(x))).
I was just wondering whether that function (at least, until the part that it doesn't get too compressed) has the same shape (to say it somehow) as the Electromagnetic spectrum.
https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/science/EM_spectrum_compare_level1_lg.jpg
I think it does but I've been looking for many pages and none of them says anything about this function, or even a similar one.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The curve on the bottom of the image is not what people call "electromagnetic spectrum". It is just a schematic representation of how the wavelength changes. It has no physical meaning. There is no meaningful quantity along the horizontal axis so is not even a "function".
So I don't think you should waste your time in looking for some illusory correlation.

The electromagnetic spectrum doesn't have a shape. That wavy shape is just a way to communicate the fact that EM waves can span a wide range of wavelengths. It's just part of the visualization, and you are reading too much into it.

Gjmdp said:
Hello. I was playing with functions one aftenoon until I got this one: f(x) = sin(tan(log(x))).
I was just wondering whether that function (at least, until the part that it doesn't get too compressed) has the same shape (to say it somehow) as the Electromagnetic spectrum.
https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/science/EM_spectrum_compare_level1_lg.jpg
I think it does but I've been looking for many pages and none of them says anything about this function, or even a similar one.

Thanks
The function you are looking for is called a "chirp". There are different forms depending on the exact relationship between frequency and time.

Dale said:
The function you are looking for is called a "chirp". There are different forms depending on the exact relationship between frequency and time.
OK, thank you so much. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I know it has no much of utility, but I was just surprised that this rare function could ajust to this electromagnetic wave.

nasu said:
The curve on the bottom of the image is not what people call "electromagnetic spectrum". It is just a schematic representation of how the wavelength changes. It has no physical meaning. There is no meaningful quantity along the horizontal axis so is not even a "function".
So I don't think you should waste your time in looking for some illusory correlation.
Sure, now I've come to realize that. But there's something calle the "Chirp spectrum". I think it may have something to do with the electromagnetic wave.

The OP seems to be referring to an arbitrarily drawn diagram (commonly presented in order to 'help' people get the picture what's going on but there is the relationship
λ=c/f
where λ is the wavelength
c is the speed of light and
f is the frequency
That tells you that wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency so, allowing for the fact that 'that diagram' is grossly exaggerated, it sort of implies that a steady (linear) decrease in frequency of light would produce an inverse increase in the wavelength, which has a rough resemblance to that picture. But the picture is hardly anything but nonsense in terms of the Physics.
The function that really does describe the spectrum of the EM radiation from an ideal hot body is given by Planck's Law. That has a peak in amplitude that varies in wavelength according to the temperature of the emitter.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How does the electromagnetic spectrum work?

The electromagnetic spectrum is made up of waves of energy that travel at the speed of light. These waves have varying frequencies and wavelengths, which determine their properties and effects on matter. Electromagnetic radiation can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted by different materials, which allows for its various uses in technology and daily life.

What are the functions of different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum have unique functions. For example, radio waves are used for communication, microwaves are used for cooking, infrared radiation is used for heating, visible light allows us to see, ultraviolet radiation is used in sterilization and medical treatments, X-rays are used in medical imaging, and gamma rays have various applications in medicine and research.

How is the electromagnetic spectrum important in our daily lives?

The electromagnetic spectrum has countless uses in our daily lives. It enables us to communicate wirelessly, use electronic devices, cook and heat food, see colors, and receive medical treatments. The spectrum also plays a crucial role in the Earth's ecosystem, as sunlight (a form of electromagnetic radiation) is the primary source of energy for all living things.

What are some potential dangers of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Exposure to certain forms of electromagnetic radiation can have harmful effects on living organisms. For example, overexposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun can cause sunburns and increase the risk of skin cancer. High levels of X-rays and gamma rays can also be dangerous and should be used with caution in medical procedures. Additionally, some people have concerns about the potential long-term effects of exposure to radiofrequency radiation from cell phones and other wireless devices.