Power spectrum when the wave number is not an integer

In summary, the conversation discusses a program that was created to analyze a sin wave using DFT. The program produced a power spectrum, but the shape of the spectrum was not what was expected. The participants discuss possible reasons for this, such as the wave number not being an integer and the FT assuming periodic continuation. They also discuss the effect of using a window function, specifically a square wave, and how it may affect the power spectrum. The conversation ends with a request for further understanding of why the spectrum looks the way it does.
arcTomato
Homework Statement
I would like to know the about the power spectrum of a sin wave when the wave number is not integer.
Relevant Equations
Fourier transform
Hi all.

I made a program of DFT, so I made the power spectrum of a sin wave.
This is the sin wave I used.
All data number ##N=100## and the frequency of sine wave is 4.5Hz.

1576251868710.png

And the power spectrum is this.
1576252821780.png

The wave number is not integer so the spectrum has the side lobe.
But I think this is not right.
I think the power spectrum shape should be the product of the data's power spectrum and the window function's power spectrum(in my case the window is Square wave, and in the under image is also square wave too).
like this.
スクリーンショット 2019-12-14 0.58.15.png

I would like to know why the shape of the spectrum I made is like this.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the FT assumes periodic continuation. Your 4 1/2 periods don't transform to a single spike that way.

Hi @BvU again!
yes!
because there is the discontinuity point, right??
but I would like to understand why in another way(the spectrum of window).
I think the spectrum of the data which wave number is 9 is single spike.
If I multiply the data (9 wave number) with square wave(it becomes 4.5 wave number ), I think the spectrum should look like the third image.
But the spectrum I made is not look like.

1. What is a power spectrum?

A power spectrum is a plot that shows the distribution of power (or energy) over different frequencies in a signal or data set.

2. Why is the wave number not always an integer?

The wave number, also known as the spatial frequency, is a measure of how often a wave repeats per unit distance. In some cases, the wave may not repeat exactly on an integer value, leading to non-integer wave numbers.

3. How does the power spectrum change when the wave number is not an integer?

When the wave number is not an integer, the power spectrum will show a broader distribution of power over a range of frequencies, rather than a sharp peak at a specific frequency.

4. Can non-integer wave numbers still be used for analysis?

Yes, non-integer wave numbers can still be used for analysis. In fact, many signals and data sets in science and engineering have non-integer wave numbers, and their power spectra can provide valuable insights.

5. Are there any limitations to using non-integer wave numbers in power spectrum analysis?

One limitation is that the interpretation of the power spectrum may not be as straightforward as when the wave number is an integer. Additionally, the choice of how to handle non-integer wave numbers may affect the results of the analysis.