Function that is an isomorphism

In summary, the text discusses a proposition stating that if two finite dimensional vector spaces V and W are isomorphic, then there exists an isomorphism T:V→W. An example is given of a transformation T:P_{3}(R)→P_{3}(R) defined by T(p(x)) = x dp(x)/dx, which is not an isomorphism. However, the theorem states that as long as dim(V) = dim(W), there exists an isomorphism, but this does not mean any arbitrary map T will be an isomorphism. The example given is not onto, therefore it does not satisfy the theorem.
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

So my text states the proposition:
If V and W are finite dimensional vector spaces, then there is an isomorphism T:V→W ⇔ dim(V)=dim(W).

So, in an example the text give the transformation T:P[itex]_{3}[/itex](R)→P[itex]_{3}[/itex](R)
defined by T(p(x)) = x dp(x)/dx.

Now I understand T is not an isomorphism since ker(T) = span(1) , the set of all constant polynomial functions. But by the above theorem since the dim(V) = dim(W), T would an isomorphism.
So I'm a bit confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem says that there is some function that is an isomorphism. It does not say that any function ##T## is an isomorphism.

In your example, the theorem is satisfied since ##S(x) = x## is an isomorphism. But the theorem does not say that any arbitrary ##T## is an isomorphism. So you can not deduce that your ##T## is an isomorphism from the theorem.

NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

So my text states the proposition:
If V and W are finite dimensional vector spaces, then there is an isomorphism T:V→W ⇔ dim(V)=dim(W).

So, in an example the text give the transformation T:P[itex]_{3}[/itex](R)→P[itex]_{3}[/itex](R)
defined by T(p(x)) = x dp(x)/dx.

Now I understand T is not an isomorphism since ker(T) = span(1) , the set of all constant polynomial functions. But by the above theorem since the dim(V) = dim(W), T would an isomorphism.
So I'm a bit confused.

No. The theorem says that if dim(V) = dim(W) then there is an isomorphism. It doesn't say any old map you choose is an isomorphism. Your map isn't onto.

Ok thanks alot. Its makes sense now.

Related to Function that is an isomorphism

What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical function or mapping that preserves the structure and properties of a given mathematical system. It is a one-to-one and onto correspondence between two mathematical objects, such as groups, rings, or vector spaces.

How is an isomorphism different from an automorphism?

An automorphism is a special case of an isomorphism where the source and target objects are the same. In other words, an automorphism is an isomorphism that maps an object onto itself. An isomorphism can map one object to another, which is not the case for automorphisms.

Why is an isomorphism important in mathematics?

Isomorphisms are important in mathematics because they preserve the structure and properties of mathematical objects. This means that if two objects are isomorphic, they can be considered equivalent in terms of their properties and relationships with other objects. Isomorphisms also allow us to study complex systems by mapping them onto simpler, more familiar systems.

How can you determine if a function is an isomorphism?

To determine if a function is an isomorphism, it must satisfy two conditions: it must be one-to-one (injective), meaning that each element in the target object has a unique preimage in the source object, and it must be onto (surjective), meaning that every element in the target object has at least one preimage in the source object.

Can there be multiple isomorphisms between two objects?

Yes, there can be multiple isomorphisms between two objects. In fact, for any two isomorphic objects, there is an infinite number of isomorphisms between them. These isomorphisms may differ in terms of the specific elements they map between the two objects, but they preserve the overall structure and properties.