What is the Impact of Functions on Sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proposition involving a function and sets, specifically related to injections. There are two identified typos in the proposition, one involving the initial "If" and the other involving the use of intersection instead of union. The conversation also mentions a counterexample to the proposition and suggests a revised proposition that involves a function being a union of sets. The conversation also mentions searching for examples or theorems about what a function does to a union of sets and considering the definition of an injection.
number0

Homework Statement

It is located in the pdf or the following link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50331847/hw". There seems to be 2 typos:

"1. There should not be an initial "If" at the beginning.
2. The intersection on the right side of the equation should be a union, I believe."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent a large amount of time thinking about how to do this, and I cannot figure it out. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

Attachments

• hw.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
number0 said:

Homework Statement

It is located in the pdf or the following link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50331847/hw". There seems to be a typo; there is no "if" before the set relationship.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent a large amount of time thinking about how to do this, and I cannot figure it out. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.
I believe there are two typos.
As stated, the proposition is:
Let f: S -> T. If f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cap[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A
and B of S if and only if f is an injection.

1. There should not be an initial "If" at the beginning.
2. The intersection on the right side of the equation should be a union, I believe. Here's a counterexample. Let f(x) = csc(x) with domain the sets A = [-1, 0) and B = (0, 1]. f is clearly one-to-one, so is an injection.

f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = (-[itex]\infty[/itex], -1] [itex]\cup[/itex] [1, [itex]\infty[/itex]), but f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) is the empty set. This is a contradiction of one of the two conditions if the iff proposition.

With the foregoing in mind, I believe the proposition should be:
Let f: S -> T. f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
I believe there are two typos.
As stated, the proposition is:
Let f: S -> T. If f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cap[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A

1. There should not be an initial "If" at the beginning.
2. The intersection on the right side of the equation should be a union, I believe. Here's a counterexample. Let f(x) = csc(x) with domain the sets A = [-1, 0) and B = (0, 1]. f is clearly one-to-one, so is an injection.

f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = (-[itex]\infty[/itex], -1] [itex]\cup[/itex] [1, [itex]\infty[/itex]), but f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) is the empty set. This is a contradiction of one of the two conditions if the iff proposition.

With the foregoing in mind, I believe the proposition should be:
Let f: S -> T. f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A

Yes, you are correct. I just checked the problem. Any ideas on how to approach this?

Mark44 said:
Your book might have some similar examples.

My book has examples about the functions acting on sets. But, it does not have any examples relating to injections, surjections, bijections relating to functions on sets.

It doesn't have to have examples where the functions are injections, surjections, whatever. Look for examples or theorems about what a function does to a union of sets, and then look up the definition of injection (i.e. one-to-one) .

FAQ: What is the Impact of Functions on Sets?

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of objects, known as the input and output sets. It maps each element in the input set to a unique element in the output set. In simpler terms, a function takes in a value and produces a corresponding value as an output.

2. What is the difference between a function and a relation?

A function is a type of relation that follows a specific rule where each element in the input set maps to exactly one element in the output set. In contrast, a relation is a general term for any connection or association between two sets. A relation does not have to follow a specific rule and can have multiple outputs for a single input.

3. How is a function represented?

A function can be represented in various ways, such as in the form of a mapping diagram, a table of values, an algebraic equation, or a graph. In a mapping diagram, the inputs and outputs are shown as arrows between the two sets. In a table of values, the inputs and corresponding outputs are listed in columns. An algebraic equation uses symbols and operations to describe the rule of the function. A graph visually represents the relationship between the input and output sets.

4. What is the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. The domain and range can be represented using interval notation or set notation. It is important to note that not all values in the domain may have a corresponding output, but all values in the range must have a corresponding input.

5. How can a function be evaluated?

To evaluate a function, simply substitute the input value into the function's equation or expression and perform the necessary operations to calculate the output value. It is also possible to evaluate a function using a table of values or a graph by finding the corresponding output for a given input.

Back