Fundamental Frequency of a nano scale oscillator (graphene)

In summary, the nanoribbons may have a frequency of vibration like a piece of string in classical experiments, but the tension is unknown and will be small. The only way to estimate it is to use material properties or a different approach.
maguirpi
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've just begun a phd which involves nanoribbons (a small strip of a 2D material connected at either end to a larger 'bulk' section of the same 2D material). A question has occurred to me. These nanoribbons look a lot like a piece of string in a violin/sonometer (although the tension is obviously not easily tuneable). This means that they should have a frequency of vibration like a piece of string in classical experiments. I'd really like to estimatethis (for fun, not homework or anything like that).

Using electron and ion microscopy we know what the width, height and breadth are. We know the density as we know the material. So basically in the equation attached, what we don't know is the tension. I guess this is going to be quite small anyway. The only thing I can think to do is estimate the number of atoms at each end and use the bond energy/distance. This will allow me to calculate a total force and use this as my upper bound on tension. I'm totally open to other ideas though, maybe using material properties or a different approach. My classical mechanics might be rusty too!

If you need anything clarified as well please just ask.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Maguirpi

Attachments

• GNR.JPG
    GNR.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 474
  • FF.JPG
    FF.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
The vibration of a string is based on the assumption that the tension is independent of the displacement and that the restoring force is determined by displacement. Frequency is then not dependent on amplitude.

With a ribbon having zero tension at the zero displacement, the frequency of oscillation will be amplitude dependent. It will flap like a flag in the wind.

I suspect your "ribbon" is better described as a beam fixed at both ends. If you know Young's Modulus (or since grapheme is unlikely to be an isotropic material, the relevant modulus along the length of the ribbon) you can estimate the lowest natural frequency here: http://faculty.uml.edu/pavitabile/22.403/web_downloads/Frequencies_of_Common_Systems.PDF

If there is any axial tension the frequency will increase. See here:
http://www.vibrationdata.com/tutorials2/beam_axial_load.pdf

Since a beam has some elastic stiffness when the tension is zero, unlike a string, the effect of amplitude on frequency will to be second-order, so you can ignore it for reasonably small vibration amplitudes (i.e. when amplitude is the same order of magnitude as the thickness of the ribbon)

Last edited by a moderator:
This certainly is an interesting question.

Maybe it comes down to the thickness of the ribbon. Being described as 2D suggests a zero thickness which makes it more like a catenary chain than a beam.

There will be a mode where the ribbon oscillates sideways within its 2D plane. That will certainly conform to the beam model and have a higher frequency than waves propagating along the same catenary chain. The frequency will be independent of the ribbon thickness.

1. What is the fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator made of graphene?

The fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator made of graphene depends on a number of factors such as the size, shape, and material properties of the oscillator. In general, the fundamental frequency is in the terahertz range, ranging from a few hundred gigahertz to a few terahertz.

2. How is the fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator measured?

The fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator can be measured using various techniques such as atomic force microscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, or Raman spectroscopy. These techniques allow researchers to observe the vibrations of the oscillator and determine its fundamental frequency.

3. What are the uses of a nano scale oscillator made of graphene?

Nano scale oscillators made of graphene have a wide range of potential applications in areas such as sensing, communication, and computing. They can be used as highly sensitive sensors for detecting small changes in mass or temperature, as well as for generating high frequency signals for wireless communication and data processing.

4. How does the fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator change with temperature?

The fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator made of graphene typically increases with increasing temperature. This is due to the increase in thermal energy which causes the atoms in the oscillator to vibrate at a higher frequency. However, the exact relationship between temperature and fundamental frequency may vary depending on the specific properties of the oscillator.

5. Can the fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator be tuned?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of a nano scale oscillator can be tuned by changing its size, shape, or material properties. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying strain, altering the number of layers of graphene, or changing the surrounding environment of the oscillator. Tuning the fundamental frequency allows for more precise control and customization of the oscillator for different applications.