Fundamental Frequency of nylon string

In summary: So, the fundamental frequency should be 75 Hz. In summary, the fundamental frequency for the standing waves on the nylon string, with fixed supports 0.75m apart, is 75 Hz. This can be calculated by finding the common factor of the two given frequencies, 225 Hz and 300 Hz, which is 75 Hz. This is based on the relationship between the frequency of the nth harmonic and the fundamental frequency, where fn=n*f1. Using this, it can be determined that the fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency that can exist on the string.
rchenkl
Fundamental Frequency! [SOLVED]

A nylon string is stretched between fixed supports 0.75m apart. Experimental plucking of the string shows that several standing waves can exist on the string. Two such standing waves have frequencies of 225Hz and 300Hz with no other frequencies in between.

Q1. What is the lowest frequency (fundamental) frequency that can exist on the string?

I tried to use f=v/2L = Root(t/m/L)/2L
But the tension and mass was not given. I'm pretty sure that would have something to do with those frequencies provided. But I have no clue of how to do it.

Thanks ^^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

rchenkl said:
A nylon string is stretched between fixed supports 0.75m apart. Experimental plucking of the string shows that several standing waves can exist on the string. Two such standing waves have frequencies of 225Hz and 330Hz with no other frequencies in between.

Q1. What is the lowest frequency (fundamental) frequency that can exist on the string?

I tried to use f=v/2L = Root(t/m/L)/2L
But the tension and mass was not given. I'm pretty sure that would have something to do with those frequencies provided. But I have no clue of how to do it.

Thanks ^^
Welcome to Physics Forums.

HINT: How is the frequency of the nth harmonic related to the fundamental mode?

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

HINT: How is the frequency of the nth harmonic related to the fundamental mode?

fn=nv/2L So is it when n=1 its the first harmonic? And its the fundamental frequency?
I'm not sure very sure...

Last edited:

rchenkl said:
fn=nv/2L So is it when n=1 its the fundamental frequency?
I was thinking more of something of the form fn = n*f1, where fn is the nth harmonic and f1 is the fundamental frequency.

Can you use this expression together with the information provided to create a system of two equations?

Hootenanny said:
I was thinking more of something of the form fn = n*f1, where fn is the nth harmonic and f1 is the fundamental frequency.

Can you use this expression together with the information provided to create a system of two equations?

So is it 225Hz=nf1 and 300Hz=(n+1)f1 ?
Throught my calculations...
So f1=300-225?

rchenkl said:
So is it 225Hz=nf1 and 300Hz=(n+1)f1 ?
Throught my calculations...
So f1=300-225?
Looks good to me :approve:

Ohh ! I got it!
Because the Nth frequency is the n*fundamental frequency!
Is that right?

Thank u ! :D

Okay, exactly what answer did you get? It does NOT follow that because [itex]225= n*f_1[/itex], that 330 must be the next harmonic. [itex]330= m*f_1[/itex], certainly, but m is not necessarily n+1.

330- 225= 105. But 105 is NOT a divisor of 330: that is, 330 is not equal to n*105 for any integer n so 105 is NOT the "fundamental frequency". What is true is that [itex]f_n= n*f_1[/itex] so the fundamental frequence must be a factor of both 330 and 225 (and, so, 105). 330= 3*110= 3*5*22= 2*3*5*11. 225= 5*45= 5*5*9= 32*52. What is the largest number that divides both of those?
(Even then there is no guarantee that a fundamental frequency is the greatest common factor. There four possible fundamental frequencies for this.

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, exactly what answer did you get? It does NOT follow that because [itex]225= n*f_1[/itex], that 330 must be the next harmonic. [itex]330= m*f_1[/itex], certainly, but m is not necessarily n+1.

330- 225= 105. But 105 is NOT a divisor of 330: that is, 330 is not equal to n*105 for any integer n so 105 is NOT the "fundamental frequency". What is true is that [itex]f_n= n*f_1[/itex] so the fundamental frequence must be a factor of both 330 and 225 (and, so, 105). 330= 3*110= 3*5*22= 2*3*5*11. 225= 5*45= 5*5*9= 32*52. What is the largest number that divides both of those?
(Even then there is no guarantee that a fundamental frequency is the greatest common factor. There four possible fundamental frequencies for this.

Sorry to cause confusing there. The two frequencies provided was supposed to be 225 Hz and 300 Hz. Not 330 Hz for the second one.

1. What is the fundamental frequency of nylon string?

The fundamental frequency of nylon string refers to the lowest frequency at which the string vibrates when plucked or strummed. It is also known as the first harmonic and is determined by the length, tension, and mass of the string.

2. How is the fundamental frequency of nylon string calculated?

The fundamental frequency of nylon string can be calculated using the following formula: f = (1/2L) * √(T/μ), where f is the frequency, L is the length of the string, T is the tension, and μ is the linear density (mass per unit length) of the string.

3. What factors affect the fundamental frequency of nylon string?

The fundamental frequency of nylon string is affected by the length, tension, and mass of the string. Changes in any of these factors can result in a different fundamental frequency. Additionally, the material and diameter of the string can also impact the fundamental frequency.

4. Can the fundamental frequency of nylon string be changed?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of nylon string can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, changing the tension or length of the string will result in a different fundamental frequency. Additionally, using a different material or diameter of string can also change the fundamental frequency.

5. Why is the fundamental frequency of nylon string important?

The fundamental frequency of nylon string is important because it determines the pitch of the string when it is played. It is also used in the construction of musical instruments, such as guitars, to ensure that the strings produce the desired pitch and harmonics when played.