Fundamental Particles - Meson Decay Question

In summary, the pion-zero meson has a mass of 135.0 MeV/c2 and decays into two gamma rays, with each gamma ray having an energy of 1.08x10-11J. The wavelength of the two gamma rays can be determined using the equation E=hc/λ, resulting in a value of 1.84x10-14 m, which is within the range of gamma ray wavelengths. While the book's answer of 1.98x10-14 m may be incorrect, the calculated value is still within the range of gamma ray wavelengths and can be accepted as the correct answer.
Magda|A380

Homework Statement

The pion-zero meson has its mass quoted as 135.0MeV/c2.
It decays into two gamma rays:
0 → γ + γ
b) Assuming the ∏0meson to be initially at rest, calculate the energy and hence the wavelength of the two gamma rays.

Homework Equations

E= hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a) just wanted me to calculate the mass in kg; which was fine, but I'm having trouble with part b).
E = 135.0 MeV, which I get to be 2.16x10-11J
I halved this value as there are two gamma rays, to get 1.08x10-11J
Using this value for E in the equation E=hc/λ, my value for λ is 1.84x10-14; however according to my book the answer should be 1.98x10-14
Could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?
Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Magda|A380,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Magda|A380 said:

Homework Statement

The pion-zero meson has its mass quoted as 135.0MeV/c2.
It decays into two gamma rays:
0 → γ + γ
b) Assuming the ∏0meson to be initially at rest, calculate the energy and hence the wavelength of the two gamma rays.

Homework Equations

E= hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a) just wanted me to calculate the mass in kg; which was fine, but I'm having trouble with part b).
E = 135.0 MeV, which I get to be 2.16x10-11J
I halved this value as there are two gamma rays, to get 1.08x10-11J
Using this value for E in the equation E=hc/λ, my value for λ is 1.84x10-14; however according to my book the answer should be 1.98x10-14
Could someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?
Thank you :smile:
For what it's worth, I calculated the same answer that you did (λ = 1.84 x 10-14 m, to three significant figures).

collinsmark said:
Hello Magda|A380,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

For what it's worth, I calculated the same answer that you did (λ = 1.84 x 10-14 m, to three significant figures).

Thanks collinsmark :)
Yeah, my books is known to be wrong sometimes and 1.84 x 10-14 m still lies within the gamma ray wavelength range; so I'll accept it as the correct answer.

1. What are fundamental particles?

Fundamental particles are the basic building blocks of matter. They are the smallest particles that make up everything in the universe. They cannot be broken down into smaller particles.

2. What is meson decay?

Meson decay is the process by which a meson particle, made up of a quark and an antiquark, breaks down into other particles. This decay is a natural process that occurs in order for the meson to reach a more stable state.

3. How does meson decay occur?

Meson decay occurs through the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. During this process, the meson releases energy and transforms into other particles, such as photons, electrons, or other mesons.

4. What are the implications of meson decay?

Meson decay has important implications in the study of particle physics and the understanding of the fundamental nature of matter. It allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of mesons and their constituent quarks.

5. Can meson decay be controlled or harnessed?

No, meson decay cannot be controlled or harnessed. It is a natural process that occurs spontaneously and cannot be manipulated by humans. However, scientists can study and observe meson decay in controlled environments, such as particle accelerators, to learn more about its properties and behavior.