Fundamental question about thermal radiation

In summary, the other thread explained that black holes are not colder than the CMB, so even if there is only Hawking radiation coming out of the black hole, it would be weaker because of the temperature difference.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've always thought that the following was true but posts in another thread lead me to believe I might have a fundamental misunderstanding. The other thread was a different topic and I didn't want to hijack it, so here's my question.

What I THOUGHT was true but am not now sure about: an object is the only thing inside a room. It's magically off the floor so no conduction and I've sucked all the air out of the room, so no convection. The body is at 300 degrees Kelvin. All the surfaces of the room are at 350 degrees kelvin. My belief has been that the body radiates and the walls radiate and because the walls are hotter, they radiate MORE, so the net result is that the body absorbs some head from the walls and it gets hotter and the walls get cooler. By exactly what amounts is not relevant.

What I gathered from the other thread is that the only radiation is the NET radiation. That is, in this situation, the body does not radiate at all. The walls radiate until both the walls and the object are the same temperature.

I'd appreciate it if someone who knows what they're talking about, as I apparently don't, could clarify this for me.

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
That is incorrect. Both the walls and the object will radiate at any time they are above 0k. The walls radiate more energy, so eventually both will reach equilibrium.

Well, hm ... that's exactly what I THOUGHT was the case. What lead me to think I might have it wrong was a thread on Hawking radiation out of a black hole where there were seemingly authoritative statements and (references supporting material) saying that Hawking radiation had never been observed because black holes are colder than the CMB so even if that's the only thing radiating into a black hole, it STILL couldn't have Hawking radiation because of the temperature difference.

I guess I must have misunderstood the other thread.

Thanks

I think they mean that the radiation is drowned out from the amount of background radiation. But I'm not sure.

Drakkith said:
I think they mean that the radiation is drowned out from the amount of background radiation. But I'm not sure.

I thought so too but posted a specific question that addressed that and it lead to this thread.

I'll have to go back and review that other thread. Still haven't done that.

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted by all objects with a temperature above absolute zero. It is the transfer of heat energy through the emission and absorption of photons.

2. What is the difference between thermal radiation and other types of radiation?

Thermal radiation is different from other types of radiation, such as nuclear radiation or x-rays, because it is emitted by objects with a temperature and does not require a medium to travel through. It is also not ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to break apart atoms or molecules.

3. How does thermal radiation affect the temperature of objects?

When an object absorbs thermal radiation, it gains energy and its temperature increases. Conversely, when an object emits thermal radiation, it loses energy and its temperature decreases. This is why objects cool down when they are exposed to colder surroundings and warm up when exposed to warmer surroundings.

4. Is thermal radiation visible?

Thermal radiation is not visible to the naked eye, as it falls in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. However, some objects that emit thermal radiation, such as hot metal or the sun, may also emit visible light, making them appear red or white hot.

5. How is thermal radiation used in everyday life?

Thermal radiation is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as cooking, heating, and generating electricity. It is also used in medical treatments, such as infrared therapy, and in imaging technologies, such as thermal cameras. Understanding thermal radiation is also essential in fields such as climate science and engineering.