Fundamentals of Electric Circuits - Sadiku Question on KVL

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Paola Flores
Messages
14
Reaction score
12
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
practice_problem_2_6.jpg


Hi, this is my first time posting, I'm glad there is a space like this where we can share our doubts and hopefully get some help from other students.

As you can see on the image above, there's a KVL applied to the circuit in practice problem 2.6, but my question is the following:
On equation 2.6.1:

-12+4i+2v0-4+6i=0

for resistance V0, isn't that supposed to be -6i due to direction of the current?, a resistance can only dissipate which would make obvious the + but even on 2.6.2 it states V0=-6i, I don't want to ask my teacher because I feel the answer is probably something obvious that I am probably missing. Can anyone please elaborate on why this is being added instead of substracted to the KVL?

Thank you so much!
 
Attachments
  • practice_problem_2_6.jpg
    practice_problem_2_6.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Physics news on Phys.org
The entire 2.6.1 has the opposite sign of what I would have used, but it is consistent. Note that the current i goes to the left in the lower line.

Paola Flores said:
but even on 2.6.2 it states V0=-6i
This has to do with the definition of ##v_0## with the higher potential being to the left and the current being defined as going to the left. This equation tells you directly that the current is going in the opposite direction of what was used in the KVL loop.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Paola Flores