What should I know before taking Fundamentals of Engineering 101?

In summary: It's a local community college located in Portland, Oregon. I am almost done with the class. The book was quite interesting. It was made up of statistics, mechanics, circuits, graphing, matlab, excel, etc. My final is due this coming Thursday.Congrats! :smile:
ME_student
I am not exactly sure if I am posting this in the right section, but I am taking a class called Fundamental of Engineering 101 this Fall term for school.

Do any of you know what I should study before taking this class?

Likes yaseen
Engineering news on Phys.org
ME_student said:
I am not exactly sure if I am posting this in the right section, but I am taking a class called Fundamental of Engineering 101 this Fall term for school.

Do any of you know what I should study before taking this class?

Welcome to the PF.

Usually for a class, there will be an online outline for the class. Can you post a link to that for us? Also, do you know what the textbook is for the class? Can you go to the university bookstore and buy it early, or does it not come in until right before the class starts?

Also, you probably don't need to pre-study for this class. It sounds like a pretty basic intro class. Did you usually do well in your technical classes (in high school I would guess?)?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Usually for a class, there will be an online outline for the class. Can you post a link to that for us? Also, do you know what the textbook is for the class? Can you go to the university bookstore and buy it early, or does it not come in until right before the class starts?

Also, you probably don't need to pre-study for this class. It sounds like a pretty basic intro class. Did you usually do well in your technical classes (in high school I would guess?)?

Was I suppose to introduce myself?

I don't even know what book I am suppose to purchase because I won't be taking the class until Fall term. I am just trying to get ahead if possible...

ME_student said:
Was I suppose to introduce myself?

I don't even know what book I am suppose to purchase because I won't be taking the class until Fall term. I am just trying to get ahead if possible...

What college and what class. Usually the bookstore will have the books in early...

berkeman said:
What college and what class. Usually the bookstore will have the books in early...

It's a local community college located in Portland, Oregon. I am almost done with the class. The book was quite interesting. It was made up of statistics, mechanics, circuits, graphing, matlab, excel, etc. My final is due this coming Thursday.

Congrats! :smile:

Get to know Matlab, it will be your closest friend if you do mech eng.

1. What is the purpose of studying Fundamentals of Engineering?

The purpose of studying Fundamentals of Engineering is to gain a strong foundation in the basic principles and concepts of engineering. This includes topics such as mathematics, physics, mechanics, and materials science, which are essential for understanding and solving engineering problems.

2. Is Fundamentals of Engineering a required course for all engineering majors?

Yes, Fundamentals of Engineering is a required course for all engineering majors. It is typically taken in the first or second year of undergraduate studies and serves as a prerequisite for more advanced engineering courses.

3. What skills can I expect to gain from studying Fundamentals of Engineering?

Studying Fundamentals of Engineering will provide you with a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills. These skills are essential for success in any engineering discipline and are highly valued by employers.

4. Are there any resources available to help me study Fundamentals of Engineering?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you study Fundamentals of Engineering. These may include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your university may also offer tutoring services or have a dedicated academic support center for engineering students.

5. How can I prepare for success in Fundamentals of Engineering?

To prepare for success in Fundamentals of Engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other relevant subjects. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as these will be essential in the course. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can help you stay on top of coursework and prepare for exams.