1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G-Force and (possibly) Centrifugal force applied to the rotation of a car

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    1. I'm in my first year of physics, and the end-of-year project is a bit of a doozy: find two examples of misapplied physics in movies and explain how it's wrong. For my first example, I chose a scene from the movie "The Iron Giant," in which the Giant picks up a car with Hogarth, our child protagonist, inside, and then rotates his torso incredibly fast, like a merry-go-round. I noticed that despite the incredible speed, no "centrifugal" force was being applied; Hogarth was sitting in the driver's seat, but not moving towards the outside of the car.
    I'm having trouble with the centrifugal force, which I believe is an equal-but-opposite reaction to centripetal force (though I'm not quite sure), and calculating the G-force, which I'm not sure how to do.

radius- assuming Hogarth's claim that the Giant is 100 ft. tall, and that the Giant is similarly proportional to a human, the radius - the length of his arm- would be approximately 50 feet, or 15.24 meters.
    Speed- about 5 revolutions in 2 seconds- 150 revolutions in 1 minute, or 1 revolution in 0.4 seconds.
    Velocity- 239.39 meters/second.
    Mass- assuming the mass of the car is about 5000 lbs. and Hogarth is about 80 lbs., then their combined total is about 2304.25 kg.
    Centripetal acceleration- 3,755.94 meters per second squared
    Centripetal force- 8,654,630 N

2. Ac = V squared / r
    V = (2∏r)/T
    Fc = (m[V squared]) / r

3. I've found a bunch of factors, but I'm not sure how they relate to each other and how they show that Hogarth should be suffering from more G-force and moving outwards.
    And I'm not sure I'm even applying the correct equations or principles, or if what I'm trying to find is what I actually need to find.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?