Galactic & cosmological numbers

In summary, the author is looking for observational values for the observed number density of all galaxies within about redshift 0.5, the best accepted average cross sectional size, and the best histogram of quasars vs redshift.
pellikkan
Can anyone point me to some references?
Greetings All. I am searching for a couple of numbers, but my books are packed away and stored somewhere due to moving. I was hoping someone could provide the best accepted observational values and the reference sources for those numbers.

First I am searching for the best number for the observed number density of all galaxies within about redshift 0.5, ...that is, ..the total number of galaxies per unit volume. I found one publication online that seems to imply that there are about 6 or 12 per cubic Mpc, but not sure about it. I suppose one could find a histogram of galaxies vs redshift and integrate out to say z=0.4, and then divide by the volume therein, but I'm not sure if those histograms are over the total angular sky or just a section of it. Also there's probably galaxies that don't show up on the histogram maybe because they're not big or bright enough or something.

Secondly I am looking for the best accepted average cross sectional size, ( or equivalently the diameter) for all the galaxies implied in the above paragraph, ..indeed if there is such a calculation somewhere. There are surely several ways to do this. I think over half of those galaxies are irregulars, maybe a third spirals, and the rest ellipticals, etc. Also I think the diameters of those are supposed to be maybe 1 to 10 kpc for irregulars, 5 to 50 kpc for spirals, and 1 to 200 kpc for ellipticals. Maybe the geometric mean or something for each type could be taken and then multiplied times the respective percentage of that type, and then all types averaged together or something like that. Also, maybe the total semi-local mass density could be divided by the average mass of all galactic types, or mass of each type averaged individually, and then multiplied by the percentage of the type, and then by the average size But I digress...maybe the best average cross section is already done and published somewhere, ...and so that's what I am asking. Wikipedia says that the diameters range from about 1,000 to about 100,000 parsecs, and so from that I'd guess that an average would end up being about 10,000 pc or less.

Thirdly, but less importantly, I could use the reference to the best histogram of all types of quasars vs redshift, ...out to maybe z=4, or around there. It would also be helpful to know the total local number density of all quasars semi-locally within redshift 0.3 or 0.4. Again, I'm not sure if those counts have been done over the total angular sky or not. Maybe they've been done over part of the sky and then extrapolated to the entire sky or something.

Thanks much in advance if you can help finding any of those references, and best regards.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As for your third request regarding a histogram of quasars vs redshift, this paper may have the information you’ve asked for:

“SDSS quasars in the WISE preliminary data release and quasar candidate selection with optical/infrared colors” Wu, Xue-Bing et al. Astron.J. 144 (2012) 49, and at arXiv:1204.6197 [astro-ph.CO]

For a review and some significant graphs from that paper, see:
http://inspirehep.net/record/1112737/plots

I notice that you’ve asked the same questions at researchgate as well:
Gregory Newton
University of Washington Seattle
http://www.researchgate.net/post/Can_anyone_point_me_to_some_references

Last edited by a moderator:
As for your first request regarding “observed number density of all galaxies within about redshift 0.5”, see:

The Astrophysical Journal, 620:564-583, 2005 February 20
© 2005. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.
The Luminosity, Stellar Mass, and Number Density Evolution of Field Galaxies of Known Morphology from z = 0.5 to 3
Christopher J. Conselice ,1,2 Jeffrey A. Blackburne ,1,3 and Casey Papovich 4
http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/620/2/564/fulltext/60466.text.html

and:
The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, 172:434-455, 2007 September
© 2007. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.
The Evolution of the Number Density of Large Disk Galaxies in COSMOS1
http://iopscience.iop.org/0067-0049/172/1/434/fulltext/65185.text.html

and:
“Interpreting the Cosmic Infrared Background: Constraints on the
Evolution of the Dust Enshrouded Star Formation Rate”
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0103067.pdf

and:
“Galaxy Cluster Virial Masses and Omega”
http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9509034.pdf

Yes, thanks very much. The qso histogram is excellent.

As for the number density of galaxies, I am searching through
those references, and thanks so much for relating those.
I have found a quite direct answer in a publication at
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1946MNRAS.106..121F,
which summarizes by stating that there are about 12 galaxies
per cubic mpc, but was published in 1946. I guess I could
trace the trail of publications that cite that document
to find more current such estimates of the neighbourhood
within z=0.5 when I get some extra time. Can anyone comment
on the 12 galaxies/cubic Mpc given by that publication?
Does it sound reasonable estimate by today's methods?

Still can't find anything that summarizes an average galactic
diameter within redshift 0.5.

Hello, thank you for reaching out for references on galactic and cosmological numbers. I can provide some sources that may be helpful in your search:

1. For the number density of galaxies, a commonly accepted value is approximately 0.01 galaxies per cubic Mpc (Mpc^-3) at redshift 0.5. This value can vary depending on the method of measurement and the type of galaxy being counted. A good reference for this value can be found in the paper "Galaxy Evolution in the Local Universe" by Blanton et al. (2005).

2. The average cross-sectional size of galaxies is also a difficult value to determine, as it varies greatly depending on the type of galaxy and its orientation. However, a rough estimate for the average diameter of a galaxy is around 30,000 parsecs (pc). This value can be found in the book "Galaxies in the Universe" by Linda Sparke and John Gallagher.

3. For a histogram of quasars vs redshift, a good reference is the paper "The Sloan Digital Sky Survey Quasar Catalog: Twelfth data release" by Paris et al. (2017). This paper provides a histogram of quasars up to redshift 7.5. For the total number density of quasars within a certain redshift range, you can refer to the paper "The clustering of high-redshift quasars" by Shen et al. (2007).

I hope these references are helpful in your search. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the difference between a galaxy and a cosmological number?

A galaxy is a vast system of stars, gas, dust, and dark matter held together by gravity. A cosmological number, on the other hand, refers to a numerical value used in theories and models to describe the structure and evolution of the universe as a whole. In other words, a galaxy is a physical object while a cosmological number is a theoretical concept.

2. How do scientists measure the size of a galaxy?

There are several ways to measure the size of a galaxy, but the most common method is to use its apparent size as seen from Earth. This is done by measuring the angle of the galaxy's diameter and using trigonometry to calculate its distance. Other methods include using the galaxy's rotational speed or the brightness of its stars.

3. What is the Hubble constant and why is it important in cosmology?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is named after Edwin Hubble, who first discovered the expansion of the universe. This constant is important in cosmology because it helps determine the age, size, and fate of the universe.

4. How do scientists determine the number of galaxies in the observable universe?

To determine the number of galaxies in the observable universe, scientists use telescopes to look at deep space and count the number of galaxies within a specific volume of space. They then extrapolate this number to estimate the total number of galaxies in the observable universe. However, this number is constantly changing as new galaxies are being discovered.

5. Can galaxies merge with each other?

Yes, galaxies can merge with each other through a process called galactic cannibalism. This occurs when two galaxies come close enough to each other and their gravitational forces cause them to merge and form a larger, more massive galaxy. This process is thought to be a common occurrence in the universe and is believed to have played a role in the formation of many galaxies we see today.