Galilean structure, inertial system and two bodies

In summary, the conversation is discussing the 2-body problem in Galilean spacetime and the claim that for any initial conditions, there exists an inertial system where the motion of the two bodies takes place in a fixed plane for all time. This is due to the symmetry of the forces, which must possess the same symmetries as the configuration of the particles. The relevant symmetry in this case is reflection through the plane the particles are moving in. While there may be initial conditions where the particles do not move in a plane, it is possible to find a frame where they do.
cliowa
Say I have two bodies, idealized as points with mass, in Galilean spacetime [itex]A^4[/itex]. When thinking about the 2-body problem (just two bodies with interaction forces in the entire universe), one usually goes from the 3-dim. to the 2-dimensional problem using some special idea. I read the following claim: For any initial conditions on those 2 bodies, one can find an inertial system such that the motion of those two bodies takes place in a fixed plane, for all time.
Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with symmetry. The force on the particles should possesses whatever symmetries the configuration (positions and velocities) does. For example, if they are initially at rest, there is a rotational symmetry about the line connecting them, and so the force must lie on this line. Thus they will remain on the line for all time. Can you make the argument in your case?

StatusX said:
It has to do with symmetry. The force on the particles should possesses whatever symmetries the configuration (positions and velocities) does.
I don't think the force should really depend on the velocities (or the symmetries of the velocities, if you wish), we're dealing with simple interaction forces only. What makes you think that there is a dependence on the velocities?

StatusX said:
For example, if they are initially at rest, there is a rotational symmetry about the line connecting them, and so the force must lie on this line.
Well, for the force to be along the line connecting the two particles their initial condition doesn't matter. That comes simply from the Galilean relativity principle, right? I am well aware of that one. I know that any force between the 2 particles can only depend on the distance of the particles, and must act along the line connecting them (there can be no time or velocity dependency).

StatusX said:
Can you make the argument in your case?
No. Any help?
Thanks...Cliowa

I'm talking about completely general forces. These can depend in an arbitrary way on the configuration of the system, ie, positions and velocities of all particles (for example, this would apply to the Lorentz force, which is velocity dependent). It might be true that the force depends only on position, or that it is directed along the line between the particles, but it isn't necessary to assume this for either my example or the thing you're meant to prove.

The only assumption is that whatever symmetries the configuration has, the forces must also have. Because if there was some transformation that left the system the same as it was but changed the forces, you'd have two identical configurations to which you're assigning different forces.

In my example, if the particles are at rest (or more generally, moving along the line connecting them), the system can be rotated around the line connecting them without changing anything. Unless the forces are also directed along this line, such a rotation would change them, which isn't allowed.

As a hint, the relevant symmetry to your problem will be reflection through the plane the particles are moving in.

Last edited:
StatusX said:
I'm talking about completely general forces. These can depend in an arbitrary way on the configuration of the system, ie, positions and velocities of all particles (for example, this would apply to the Lorentz force, which is velocity dependent).
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was talking in the context of classical mechanics in Galilean spacetime with the Galilean structure. I too am talking about completely general forces, and the constraints imposed by the principle of relativity do hold in galilean spacetime, as I said that those two particles are the only ones in the entire universe.

StatusX said:
It might be true that the force depends only on position, or that it is directed along the line between the particles, but it isn't necessary to assume this for either my example or the thing you're meant to prove.
Now that surprises me. I can't imagine that that's the case, but why don't you just post your solution and we'll talk about it?

StatusX said:
As a hint, the relevant symmetry to your problem will be reflection through the plane the particles are moving in.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but that's really the point of the whole thing: I don't know that there is a system in which the particles are moving in a plane. I first have to prove that this is really the case. Do you know what I mean?
Best regards...Cliowa

cliowa said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was talking in the context of classical mechanics in Galilean spacetime with the Galilean structure. I too am talking about completely general forces, and the constraints imposed by the principle of relativity do hold in galilean spacetime, as I said that those two particles are the only ones in the entire universe.

What's the misunderstanding?

Now that surprises me. I can't imagine that that's the case, but why don't you just post your solution and we'll talk about it?

I did. Look at the third paragraph.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but that's really the point of the whole thing: I don't know that there is a system in which the particles are moving in a plane. I first have to prove that this is really the case. Do you know what I mean?

You just need to find a frame where the initial positions and velocities lie in a plane, then the symmetry will dictate that the forces are such as to keep them there.

StatusX said:
What's the misunderstanding?
You started talking about velocity-dependent forces, which might arise in non-closed systems. Not a big deal, let's leave that aside.

StatusX said:
You just need to find a frame where the initial positions and velocities lie in a plane, then the symmetry will dictate that the forces are such as to keep them there.
But that may well be impossible, right? Let's go to orthonormal coordinates and say one particle has a non-vanishing initial velocity in the direction of one basis vector, and the other one in the direction of a different basis vector, and let the particles be a certain (nonzero) distance apart. Now, where's that plane you're referring to? What's the frame i have to choose?

Just take a rest frame of one of the particles.

StatusX said:
Just take a rest frame of one of the particles.

Alright, now I see. Thanks a lot and best regards...Cliowa

1. What is Galilean structure?

Galilean structure refers to the concept in physics that states that the laws of motion are the same in all inertial frames of reference. This means that the laws of physics remain constant regardless of an object's position or velocity, as long as the object is in a state of constant motion or at rest.

2. What is an inertial system?

An inertial system is a frame of reference in which an object is in a state of constant motion or at rest. In this frame of reference, the laws of motion hold true and there are no external forces acting on the object. Examples of inertial systems include a train moving at a constant speed or a stationary room with no external forces acting on it.

3. How does the concept of Galilean structure apply to two bodies?

In the context of two bodies, Galilean structure states that the laws of motion are the same for both bodies, regardless of their relative positions or velocities. This means that the motion of one body will not affect the motion of the other, as long as there are no external forces acting on them.

4. What is the significance of Galilean structure in physics?

The concept of Galilean structure is crucial in understanding the fundamental principles of physics, as it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the motion of objects. It also forms the basis of Newton's laws of motion, which are essential in explaining the behavior of objects in our everyday world.

5. Can the concept of Galilean structure be applied to non-inertial systems?

No, Galilean structure only applies to inertial systems where the laws of motion hold true. In non-inertial systems, such as a rotating reference frame or one experiencing acceleration, the laws of motion are not constant and Galilean structure does not apply.