How can I make Stepmania read serial data from a game cube to USB adapter?

In summary, his project is to design and build a gamecube to usb adapter that will work with stepmania (a dance dance revolution simulator that you can download for free online). He has already correctly mapped out the buttons in his code, but now needs to have stepmania be able to read serial data. Does anyone know how to go about this?
fishys182
ok i wasnt sure which forum to place this in so I am putting it here now.

I am currently trying to help my boyfriend figure out something. his project is to design and build a game cube to usb adapter that will work with stepmania (a dance dance revolution simulator that you can download for free online). he has already correctly mapped out the buttons in his code, but now needs to have stepmania be able to read serial data. does anyone know how to go about this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, fishy.
This, or perhaps the computer section, is appropriate. Double posts are discouraged, but understandable under the circumstances. Unfortunately, I can be of no help to you.

gamecube to usb adapter serial stuff

I am currently trying to help my boyfriend figure out something. his project is to design and build a game cube to usb adapter that will work with stepmania (a dance dance revolution simulator that you can download for free online). he has already correctly mapped out the buttons in his code, but now needs to have stepmania be able to read serial data. does anyone know how to go about this?

Not sure what you are looking for or what the how the USB adapter gets involved.
Try posting up what's been done so far.

The keyboard buttons constitute serial data in and of themselves so it would seem that he is already sending serial data.

sorry abotu the multiple posts. i thought i should post in the engineering section because it is for an electrical engineering class.
the code is already written.. like when the buttons are pressed, it prints out which button was pressed and all the bits are right..stepmania needs to read in the serial information, but i think something needs to be coded for stepmania to be able to do that. I am not sure . It is hard to ask him questions right now because he is tired and doesn't like answering my questions on a regular basis anyway. I am also an electrical engineering major but one year before him. so i only know a little bit about what's going on.

No offense, fishy, but I doubt that anyone can give you any serious help with questions this vague.

- Warren

Doesn't the USB adapter map each input to an Asynchronous Key Event? In which case, you open Step Mania and find the configuration, then map each button manually. If you aren't able to do that, there's probably something wrong with the adapter.

none taken, thanks anyway though.

For some reason that can't be done just that easily. I think i am done asking this question though since my bofriend wontget in a better mood to elaborate on things a little more. I think the way i am asking the question to you guys is wrong. i am done trying to help now though since he is not making it easy for me to help him. thanks for your time.

I merged the two threads into this one here in the EE forum to eliminate the multiple threads.

1. What is a GameCube to USB adapter?

A GameCube to USB adapter is a device that allows you to connect a GameCube controller to a computer or other device with a USB port. This allows you to use the GameCube controller to play games on your computer or other compatible device.

2. How does a GameCube to USB adapter work?

A GameCube to USB adapter typically has a GameCube controller port on one end and a USB port on the other. The adapter translates the signals from the GameCube controller into signals that the computer or device can understand, allowing you to use the controller to play games.

3. Is a GameCube to USB adapter compatible with all GameCube controllers?

No, not all GameCube controllers are compatible with a GameCube to USB adapter. Some adapters may only work with official Nintendo GameCube controllers, while others may also be compatible with third-party controllers. It is important to check the compatibility of the adapter before purchasing.

4. Can I use a GameCube to USB adapter with any game on my computer?

It depends on the game and the adapter. Some games may have built-in support for GameCube controllers, while others may require additional software or customization. It is best to research the game and adapter compatibility before attempting to use a GameCube controller.

5. Are there any other uses for a GameCube to USB adapter?

Yes, a GameCube to USB adapter can also be used to connect a GameCube controller to other devices with a USB port, such as a Raspberry Pi or a smart TV. It can also be used to play emulated GameCube games on a computer.