1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game Theory 2x2 Matrix

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

{(-3,-4),(-7,2)} Find the value of the game (basically saying find x*)

2. Relevant equations

E((x,1-x), 1)=E((x,1-x),2))

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I used dot product of (x,1-x) and column 1 (-3,-7). I got 4x-7 for that, which is my E((x,1-x). Then I found the dot product of (x,1-x) and column 2 (-4,2) and got -6x+2, which is my E((x,1-x),2)). Set them equal to eachother to get my x, and got x=9/10. My Y is 1-x, which is 1/10. Therefore my x*=(9/10,1/10). The back of the book says my x* is (6/10,4/10), so I dunno what the hell I did wrong. I hate this class.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

You've mixed up the columns and rows.

I've not studied game theory per se, but in evolutionary biology, I've come across it. There the tables are typically constructed in the way that the profit is to the player in the left column i.e.
    _H D
    H -3 -4
    D -7 2
    Meaning that if a H plays a D, H will get -4, and the D will get -7. If everyone plays H with probability p (and thus D with probability 1-p), suppose you play H, the expected winnings are:
    W(H) = -3p + (-4)(1-p)
    and should you opt for D:
    W(D) = -7p + 2(1-p)

Now W(H) and W(D) should be equal and you get the answer you were looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook