Do Dedekind cuts fill the gaps in the rational number line?

• I
  • Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: These cuts let us move from rational numbers (which have an infinite decimal component) to real numbers that have a finite decimal component.
FallenApple
So I'm reading the first page of Rudin. This is right after proving that there is no rational solution to x^2=2.

Gap_in_RealNumbers.png
How does this show that the rational number system has gaps? All it shows is that A has no upper bound and B has no lower bound. Is it really necessary to have two sets A&B perfectly glued together? It seems to show that the real number line has gaps(if unfilled), but not the rational number line.

Also, proving there is no rational number x such that x^2=2 is different from saying that there exists a number x
such that I can take the square of it and get 2.

Last edited:
Likes Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the book is trying to say that since there is no rational x such that ##x^2=2## there is a gap in the rational line at the point ##x=\sqrt{2}##. The discussion you post just says that you can approach ##\sqrt{2}## as close as you want with a rational number sequence ##p_{n+1}=\frac{2p_n+2}{p_n+2}## (and this approach can be either from the upper or from the lower side , chose ##p_0=1## for the lower and ##p_0=3## for the upper approach) but you can never get to it using just rational numbers. (The limit of sequence ##p_n## is ##\sqrt{2}## but there is no k such that ##p_k=\sqrt{2}##).

Likes FallenApple and Logical Dog
the real number line has no gaps, only the rational smf other subsets. i believe the property is called completeness. i don't know how to say it rigourously but the definition I got is that if a number set fills out a number line completely, without any gaps then it is complete. This is different from density which states between any two elements there exists a third in between them, which also requires another property called order:confused: he refers to density in remark 1.2 the limit of a sequence need not be an element of the sequence.

ROOT 2 is NOT IN the set { a/b | a, b in integers and b not equal to zero}

the irrational numbers or the root of 2 exist, but they are carrying infinite non repeating decimal components and hence would take forever and ever to list them. this is what I understand. Because of this all irrational numbers are denoted by the set R\Q = R - Q. the difference set between Reals and rationals, it leaves you with points like root 2, pi and other famous irrationals.

Is it right to say Set A in the example is the interval [0, root 2) and B is (root 2, infinity)?

Last edited:
"Gaps" may not have been the best wording, but he is trying to convey that the rational numbers are lacking "something". In this example, you see that you can get very close to root 2, indeed arbitrarily close to root 2, but we both know root 2 is not rational, so the rationals are lacking something. The property it lacks is called completeness, it will be discussed in the section on sequences. A metric space is complete if every cauchy sequence converges in that space, but that is also equivalent to saying any bounded subset of that space has a supremum, which is what i think this section covers. In this example, your subset is all rationals whose square is less than or equal to 2, and you see this set has no supremum. This missing supremum is the "gap" that we call root 2, all of the gaps would be the set of irrational numbers. When you join the irrationals to the rationals you remove all of the "gaps" and you have a nice complete space where all of your sequences which should converge, do converge.

Likes Logical Dog, FallenApple and Delta2
Delta² said:
Well the book is trying to say that since there is no rational x such that ##x^2=2## there is a gap in the rational line at the point ##x=\sqrt{2}##. The discussion you post just says that you can approach ##\sqrt{2}## as close as you want with a rational number sequence ##p_{n+1}=\frac{2p_n+2}{p_n+2}## (and this approach can be either from the upper or from the lower side , chose ##p_0=1## for the lower and ##p_0=3## for the upper approach) but you can never get to it using just rational numbers. (The limit of sequence ##p_n## is ##\sqrt{2}## but there is no k such that ##p_k=\sqrt{2}##).

Makes sense. Without R, one cannot go from one set to another. If I start in B and try to go to A, I would just keep transversing lower and lower values of B. There needs to be a number between B to get to A.

1. What are gaps in the number line of Q?

Gaps in the number line of Q refer to the missing numbers or values between two consecutive rational numbers. These gaps can occur due to the existence of irrational numbers, which cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

2. How are gaps in the number line of Q different from gaps in the number line of R?

Gaps in the number line of Q are different from gaps in the number line of R because the former represents the set of rational numbers, while the latter represents the set of real numbers. This means that gaps in the number line of Q only occur between rational numbers, whereas gaps in the number line of R can occur between any two numbers, including irrational numbers.

3. Are there any patterns or rules for the gaps in the number line of Q?

No, there are no specific patterns or rules for the gaps in the number line of Q. They can occur randomly between any two rational numbers, and their size or distance between two numbers cannot be determined beforehand.

4. Can gaps in the number line of Q be filled or closed?

No, gaps in the number line of Q cannot be filled or closed. This is because the set of rational numbers is infinite, and there will always be irrational numbers between any two rational numbers, resulting in gaps in the number line.

5. How do gaps in the number line of Q affect mathematical operations?

Gaps in the number line of Q do not affect mathematical operations involving only rational numbers. However, they can present challenges when working with real numbers or when calculating limits in calculus. In these cases, additional techniques, such as using decimal approximations, may be necessary to overcome the gaps in the number line.