Making CO2 Gas Concentrations: 50ppm, 100ppm, 1000ppm

In summary, the person is asking for practical advice on how to make different concentrations of CO2 from a gas cylinder with a purity of 99.999%. They are unsure of what gas to mix with and how to control the amount released in order to achieve a specific concentration, such as 10ppm. They are looking for a procedure or common practice in certain fields for this process.
strokebow
Hi,

I have a gas cylinder 99.999% CO2.

I want to apply the CO2 to my sample at different concentration. e.g.) 50ppm, 100ppm, 1000ppm.

How do I make these concentrations of CO2 from my gas cylinder? Any practical advice would be truly appreciated.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Mixed with what? Those first two concentrations are lower than the concentration of CO2 in air...

Hi

thanks for replying.

I don't know what to mix with.

For example, if I wanted to make up a solution of a liquid or powder to low concentration I would just dissolve in deionized water of the correct amounts to give the desired conc.

But for gases I am not sure.

What gas to mix with? I don't know?

To get 10ppm of CO2 how would this be done? Would you mix CO2 with argon? How can you control the amount you release?

I can't find a procedure for this on the internet altough I would expect this would be common practise in some fields?

Any ideas?

What is the purpose of creating gas concentrations of CO2?

The purpose of creating gas concentrations of CO2 is to simulate different levels of carbon dioxide in a controlled environment for research or testing purposes.

Why are specific concentrations of 50ppm, 100ppm, and 1000ppm used?

These specific concentrations are commonly used because they represent different levels of CO2 that are commonly found in the atmosphere. 50ppm is a very low concentration, while 100ppm is closer to pre-industrial levels and 1000ppm is on the higher end of current atmospheric levels.

How is CO2 gas concentration measured?

CO2 gas concentration can be measured using various instruments such as infrared gas analyzers or gas chromatographs. These instruments detect the amount of CO2 in a given volume of air and display the concentration in parts per million (ppm).

What factors can affect CO2 gas concentration?

Factors that can affect CO2 gas concentration include human activities such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes. Natural processes such as volcanic eruptions and oceanic processes can also contribute to changes in CO2 levels.

What are the potential effects of increased CO2 gas concentrations?

Increased CO2 gas concentrations can lead to a phenomenon known as the greenhouse effect, where the Earth's atmosphere traps heat from the sun and causes global warming. This can have significant impacts on climate, ecosystems, and human health.