1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas Concentration

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I have a gas cylinder 99.999% CO2.

I want to apply the CO2 to my sample at different concentration. e.g.) 50ppm, 100ppm, 1000ppm.

How do I make these concentrations of CO2 from my gas cylinder??? Any practical advice would be truly appreciated.

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Mixed with what? Those first two concentrations are lower than the concentration of CO2 in air...

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3
    Hi

thanks for replying.

I dont know what to mix with.

For example, if I wanted to make up a solution of a liquid or powder to low concentration I would just dissolve in deionized water of the correct amounts to give the desired conc.

But for gases I am not sure.

What gas to mix with? I dont know?

To get 10ppm of CO2 how would this be done? Would you mix CO2 with argon? How can you control the amount you release?

I cant find a procedure for this on the internet altough I would expect this would be common practise in some fields?

Any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook