Gas separation in solar splitting of water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
stever
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
I saw recently a new article about some kind of PEC cell immersed in water which could separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. (It was news because they found a way to protect the cell from immediate corrosion damage) It seemed that somehow the scientists had designed a cell that could put the hydrogen in one place and oxygen in another place. If this is true, how could they have the gasses go to different places? Any ideas? I will look for the original paper but I doubt i will get access to it.
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can do some reading on "electrolysis" and understand the main part of the trick behind "putting the hydrogen in one place and the oxygen in another place."