Gas with interacting molecules (from goldstein)

T = -\frac{1}{2} \int_V \left(-m k/|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r|^{m+1} \right) \left( \frac{\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r}{|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r|} \right) \rho(r) \mathbf r_i dVThis is the integral that you were struggling with. I suggest you try to work through this and see if you can come up with a solution for the general case of m. Remember to use the fact that the particles are distributed according to the Boltzmann factor and that the force is s
gulsen

Homework Statement

(from Goldstein, problem 3.12)

Suppose that there are long-range interactions between atoms in a gas in the form of central forces derivable from potential
[tex]U(r) = \frac{k}{r^m}[/tex],
where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance between any pair of atoms and [itex]m[/itex] is a positive integer. Assume further that relative to any given atom the other atoms are distributed in space such that their volume density is given by Boltzmann factor:
[tex]\rho(r) = \frac{N}{V} e^{-U(r) / kT}[/tex],
where [itex]N[/itex] is the total number of atoms in a volume [itex]V[/itex]. Find the addition to the virial of Clausius resulting from these forces between pairs of atoms, and compute the resulting correction to Boyle's law. Take [itex]N[/itex] so large that sums may be replaced by integrals. While closed results can be found for and positive [itex]m[/itex], if desired, the mathematics can be simplified by taking [itex]m = +1[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\bar T = \frac{1}{2} \bar{\sum_i \nabla V \cdot \mathbf r_i}[/tex] (average over time)
which is
[tex]\bar T = -\frac{1}{2} \bar{\sum_i \mathbf F_i \cdot \mathbf r_i}[/tex]
(RHS is virial of Clausius)

The Attempt at a Solution

The force [itex]\mathbf F_i[/itex] acting on a particle has contributions from all other particles in the form of [itex]\mathbf F_i = \sum_j \left(-m k/|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r_j|^{m+1} \right) \left( \frac{\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r_j}{|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r_j|} \right)[/itex], which is supposed to be written as an integral...and one should consider that the particles obey a particular distribution. Then comes the second summation of [itex]\sum_i \mathbf F_i \cdot \mathbf r_i[/itex]. But I can't even manage to compute the first sum...

I'd greatly appreciate even slightest piece of hint...

EDIT: I have some clues for [itex]m=1[/itex] case, which obeys the Gauss law, though. First, since the system is spherically symmteric, the force should be directed along the position vector. I'm actually considering the force acting on a piece of charge located at [itex]\mathbf r_i[/itex] within a charged sphere. By the Gauss law, the particles outside of [itex]r > r_i[/itex] do not contribute to the force, and the force is proportional to the charge within the sphere [itex]r < r_i[/itex] and inversely proportional with [itex]r_i ^ 2[/itex]. So I can say

[tex]F_i = C \frac{ \int_0^{r_i} \rho(r) 4 \pi r^2 dr } {r_i^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\bar T = -\frac{1}{2} \int_0^R F(r) r (4 \pi r^2 dr \rho(r))[/tex]

Does it make any sense? Though I still don't have any clue for other values of [itex]m[/itex]...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post and for summarizing the problem at hand. I can see that you have made some progress towards finding a solution for the m=1 case, which is a good start. However, I think it would be more helpful if I provide some general guidelines and hints rather than directly giving you the solution. This will allow you to work through the problem and understand it better.

Firstly, let's consider the force acting on a single particle i due to all other particles j in the system. As you correctly stated, this can be written as:

F_i = \sum_j \left(-m k/|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r_j|^{m+1} \right) \left( \frac{\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r_j}{|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r_j|} \right)

Notice that in this expression, we have a sum over all particles j in the system. This means that we can write this force as an integral over the entire volume V of the system. This is because we can think of the summation as taking into account the contributions from all particles in the system, which can be approximated by an integral over the volume V.

Next, let's consider the distribution of particles in the system. We are given that the volume density of particles is given by the Boltzmann factor:

\rho(r) = \frac{N}{V} e^{-U(r) / kT}

This tells us that the number of particles in a small volume dV at a distance r from the particle i is given by:

dN = \rho(r) dV

Using this, we can write the total force acting on particle i due to all other particles j as:

F_i = \int_V \left(-m k/|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r|^{m+1} \right) \left( \frac{\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r}{|\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r|} \right) \rho(r) dV

Now, we can use the definition of the virial of Clausius to compute the average kinetic energy of the particle i:

\bar T = -\frac{1}{2} \bar{\sum_i \mathbf F_i \cdot \mathbf r_i}

Using the expression we found for the force F_i

What is the definition of a gas with interacting molecules?

A gas with interacting molecules refers to a gas where the molecules are constantly colliding with each other and exerting forces on each other. This results in pressure and other physical properties of the gas.

How do the interactions between gas molecules affect the gas's properties?

The interactions between gas molecules can affect the gas's properties in several ways. These interactions can determine the gas's temperature, pressure, and volume. They can also affect the gas's viscosity, diffusivity, and thermal conductivity.

What types of forces do gas molecules experience when interacting with each other?

Gas molecules experience several types of forces when interacting with each other. These include London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonding. Additionally, gas molecules can also experience van der Waals forces and repulsive forces at very close distances.

How do temperature and pressure affect the interactions between gas molecules?

Temperature and pressure can significantly affect the interactions between gas molecules. As temperature increases, the molecules move faster and collide more frequently, leading to a higher pressure. At higher pressures, the molecules are closer together and experience stronger intermolecular forces, which can affect the gas's properties.

What is the significance of understanding interactions between gas molecules?

Understanding the interactions between gas molecules is crucial in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. These interactions play a fundamental role in determining the behavior and properties of gases, and knowledge of them is essential for predicting and controlling gas behavior in various applications, such as in industrial processes and in the Earth's atmosphere.