Gasoline Engine Combustion: Shock-Wave or Expansion?

• Thread starter alex1995x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary, An explosion is a rapid, violent release of energy accompanied by a loud noise and shock wave, while a deflagration is a subsonic combustion reaction that propagates through a fuel-air mixture at a relatively low speed. Explosions occur when a large amount of energy is released quickly, often due to a chemical reaction or sudden release of pressure. They release significantly more energy than deflagrations and can cause extensive damage to property and serious injury or death. In certain conditions, a deflagration can turn into an explosion if the pressure within a confined space increases to a point where it exceeds the speed of the deflagration.
alex1995x
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could please clarify the following for me. I read that in a gasoline engine there is no shock-wave in the detonation of gasoline. If there is no shock-wave, then how is the piston pushed down? Thanks in advance for the help

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the combustion of fuel heats the compressed air, causing it to expand and push the piston down. That sound right?

Related to Gasoline Engine Combustion: Shock-Wave or Expansion?

What is the difference between an explosion and a deflagration?

An explosion is a rapid, violent release of energy accompanied by a loud noise and shock wave. A deflagration, on the other hand, is a subsonic combustion reaction that propagates through a fuel-air mixture at a relatively low speed.

What causes an explosion to occur?

An explosion typically occurs when a large amount of energy is released very quickly, often due to a chemical reaction or the sudden release of pressure. This can happen in a confined space, causing a buildup of pressure that eventually exceeds the strength of the container, resulting in an explosion.

What is the difference in energy release between an explosion and a deflagration?

An explosion releases significantly more energy than a deflagration. In fact, the energy released in an explosion can be millions of times greater than that of a deflagration.

What are some potential dangers of an explosion?

Explosions can cause extensive damage to property and can result in serious injury or death. The shock wave produced by an explosion can also cause structural damage to buildings and other structures.

Can a deflagration turn into an explosion?

Yes, under certain conditions, a deflagration can transition into an explosion. This can happen if the pressure within a confined space increases to a point where it exceeds the speed of the deflagration, causing a sudden release of energy and a transition to an explosion.