Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauge Invariance (QED)

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    My book says that in this case $$e^+e^- \rightarrow \gamma \gamma $$ gauge invariance requires that $$k_{1\nu}(A^{\mu\nu} + \tilde{A}^{\mu\nu})=0=k_{2\mu}(A^{\mu\nu} + \tilde{A}^{\mu\nu})$$ Please see attachment. My question is how does this statement hold? Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a Ward-Takahashi identity. It comes from current conservation, ##\partial_{\mu} j^{\mu}=0##, which is a necessary condition for gauge invariance.

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    But the author insisted that these conditions are met although the quantities in the equations k1ν(Aμν+A~μν)=0=k2μ(Aμν+A~μν) each separately are all different from zero. Why would he say that if it is already a consequence of ward identity? @vanhees71

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The Ward-Takahashi identities refer to the proper vertex function and is valid order by order in ##\hbar## (number of loops), i.e., it's valid only for the complete set of diagrams of a given order.

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5
    How does this have to do with my question? I can't relate.

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It has all to do with your last question, why it doesn't apply to a single diagram but only to the sum of the two diagrams relevant for the N-point function at the given loop order (which here is tree-level).

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7

Avodyne

Science Advisor

If you write out the expressions for ##A^{\mu\nu}## and ##\tilde{A}^{\mu\nu}## that you get from computing these diagrams, you will find that ##k_{1\nu}(A^{\mu\nu} + \tilde{A}^{\mu\nu})=0## and ##k_{2\mu}(A^{\mu\nu} + \tilde{A}^{\mu\nu})=0##. So, while this can be predicted from gauge invariance, it is also the result of doing the explicit calculation.

9. Mar 10, 2015 #8
    Are you telling me that Ward Takashi holds for the amplitude and not necessarily for each of the Feynman diagrams whose sum is the amplitude? @vanhees71

10. Mar 11, 2015 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that's it. The same is true for other symmetries, like charge conjugation symmetry, which implies that n-photon vertices with an odd number of photons must vanish. This also holds true only for the sum at a given loop order. Take, e.g., the one-loop triangle diagrams. You need to add both contibutions (which are different only by the orientation of the electron-positron loop making up the triangle).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook