1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Gauge Theories on Particle Physics

1. May 6, 2016 #1
    Well, i'm planning to learn from this book when i finish Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, if it fulfills the requiriments in this part, but from where i can learn the Special Relativity necessary to tackle this book?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Which book are you taking about? There are tons of books on gauge theories and the standard model. My favorite is

Schwartz, M. D.: Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2014

Concerning special relativity, I recommend to read Landau/Lifshitz vol. II on classical electromagnetism (it also contains a very good introduction to general relativity, but this you won't need to start with QFT). It is the only book I know which really takes the modern (and in my opinion most satisfactory) approach to introduce E&M as a classical relativistic field theory. Another good introduction can be found in the Feynman Lectures vol. II.

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. May 7, 2016 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These are excellent books. I think that Shankar is sufficient for QM (and Sakurai is really not a great textbook to learn from, in my opinion). But you definitely need to be very at ease with special relativity and with tensor manipulation.

6. May 7, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not so enthusiastic about Aitchison and Hey. I don't know Shankar's textbook very well. Sakurai, from which I learnt QM in my introductory course lecture, is excellent.

7. May 7, 2016 #6
    Thank you for yours answers!, so like recommended by vanhees71 i will get Landau Volume II, thank you all!

8. May 7, 2016 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That shows how picking books is subjective. That's why I never say that a book is great or a book is bad, I can only say that something is good or bad, in my opinion.

9. May 7, 2016 #8
    I Don't know, i picked up the Aitchison and Hey's book because it appears to have more content and good for self-studying, because this book has two volumes that summed up go to nearly 1000 pages!

10. May 7, 2016 #9

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, but they also make a lot of effort to be pedagogical, I find.

11. May 8, 2016 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted