Gauge Theories on Particle Physics

• Quantum
  • Thread starter Andreol263
  • Start date
Well, i'm planning to learn from this book when i finish Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, if it fulfills the requiriments in this part, but from where i can learn the Special Relativity necessary to tackle this book?

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Which book are you taking about? There are tons of books on gauge theories and the standard model. My favorite is

Schwartz, M. D.: Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2014

Concerning special relativity, I recommend to read Landau/Lifshitz vol. II on classical electromagnetism (it also contains a very good introduction to general relativity, but this you won't need to start with QFT). It is the only book I know which really takes the modern (and in my opinion most satisfactory) approach to introduce E&M as a classical relativistic field theory. Another good introduction can be found in the Feynman Lectures vol. II.

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm not so enthusiastic about Aitchison and Hey. I don't know Shankar's textbook very well. Sakurai, from which I learnt QM in my introductory course lecture, is excellent.

Thank you for yours answers!, so like recommended by vanhees71 i will get Landau Volume II, thank you all!

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm not so enthusiastic about Aitchison and Hey. I don't know Shankar's textbook very well. Sakurai, from which I learnt QM in my introductory course lecture, is excellent.
That shows how picking books is subjective. That's why I never say that a book is great or a book is bad, I can only say that something is good or bad, in my opinion.

I Don't know, i picked up the Aitchison and Hey's book because it appears to have more content and good for self-studying, because this book has two volumes that summed up go to nearly 1000 pages!

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I Don't know, i picked up the Aitchison and Hey's book because it appears to have more content and good for self-studying, because this book has two volumes that summed up go to nearly 1000 pages!
Ok, but they also make a lot of effort to be pedagogical, I find.