Integrating Vector Fields on a Sphere

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding the surface integral of two vector fields through the surface of a sphere. The first field is A\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{n_{1}}} and the second field is Ae_{z} \times \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{n_{2}}}. The equations used for the integration are \int \vec{F} r^{2} sin(\vartheta) d\vartheta d\varphi and \int \vec{F}\cdot \hat{n} dS. The resulting integrals are 4\pi AR^{3-n_{1}} and \pi^{2}AR^{3-n_{2}}, respectively.
iloveannaw

Homework Statement

Given two vector fields:
i)
[tex]A \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{n_{1}}} [/tex]
ii) [tex]Ae_{z} \times \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{n_{2}}} [/tex]

where A is a constant and [tex]n_{1} \neq 3 [/tex] and [tex]n_{2} \neq 2 [/tex]

find [tex]\int \vec{F} dS[/tex] through surface of a sphere of radius R

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \vec{F} r^{2} sin(\vartheta) d\vartheta d\varphi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

heres my attempt at the first field

INTEGRAL A/r^(n_1 - 1) * e_r * r^2 sin(theta) dtheta dfi

[tex] I = 4 \pi A R^{3 - n_{1}} [/tex]

and as for the second
[tex]Ae_{z} \times \frac{\vec{r}}{r^{n_{2}}} [/tex]

becomes
A sin(theta) / r^(n_2 - 1) * e_(fi)

with result that integral

[tex] I = \pi^{2} A R^{3 - n_{2}} [/tex]could someone give me a few pointers, please

thanks

ps sorry but latex isn't doing what it's supposed to

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean

[tex]
\int \vec{F}\cdot \hat{n} dS
[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] is the unit normal to the surface? If so, you should give working out the relevant dot products a shot.

1. What is a vector field on a sphere?

A vector field on a sphere is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a vector at every point on a spherical surface. It is used to represent physical quantities such as wind velocity, magnetic fields, or fluid flow on the surface of a sphere.

2. How do you integrate a vector field on a sphere?

To integrate a vector field on a sphere, you must first parameterize the sphere using spherical coordinates. Then, you can use a double integral to calculate the flux of the vector field through the surface of the sphere. This involves breaking the surface into small sections and summing the contributions from each section.

3. What are some real-world applications of integrating vector fields on a sphere?

Integrating vector fields on a sphere has many practical applications, including weather forecasting, oceanography, and geophysics. It can also be used in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of fluid flow or atmospheric phenomena.

4. What challenges do scientists face when integrating vector fields on a sphere?

One of the main challenges is accurately representing the vector field on a discrete grid. This can lead to errors and inaccuracies in the integration process. Another challenge is dealing with singularities or discontinuities in the vector field, which require special handling in the integration process.

5. Are there any alternative methods for integrating vector fields on a sphere?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for integrating vector fields on a sphere, such as Monte Carlo integration or using special numerical techniques like quadrature or Gaussian quadrature. However, these methods may be more computationally expensive and may not always provide accurate results.