Gaussian Integral with Denominator in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses a Gaussian integral in QFT with a denominator and an arbitrary power, a, between 0 and 1. The possibility of setting a to 1/2 is also mentioned, with the suggestion that complex integration techniques may be useful in solving this problem.
"pi"mp
Hi all, so I've come across the following Gaussian integral in QFT...but it has a denominator and I am completely stuck!

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x+i \epsilon)^{a}}e^{-B(x-A)^{2}} [/tex]

where a is a power I need to leave arbitrary for now, but hope to take between 0 and 1, and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is arbitrarily small.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this? If not, I'd like to leave a arbitrary, but perhaps is can be set to 1/2. Would this then be doable? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
## \int_0^\infty \frac{e^{-B(x-A)^2}}{(x+i\epsilon)^a} \, dx## could be rewritten as ## \int_{i \epsilon} ^\infty \frac{e^{-B(z-A-i\epsilon)^2}}{(z)^a} \, dz##
I am thinking some sort of complex integration technique might help.

1. What is a Gaussian integral with denominator in QFT?

A Gaussian integral with denominator in QFT refers to a type of integral that appears in the calculations of quantum field theory (QFT). It is a specific form of integral that involves a Gaussian function in the numerator and a polynomial function in the denominator.

2. Why is the Gaussian integral with denominator important in QFT?

The Gaussian integral with denominator is important in QFT because it is used in the calculation of loop diagrams, which are essential for understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. It allows for the calculation of important physical quantities such as scattering amplitudes and vacuum expectation values.

3. How is the Gaussian integral with denominator calculated in QFT?

The Gaussian integral with denominator is typically calculated using a technique called Feynman integration, which involves rewriting the integral in terms of Feynman parameters. This allows for the integral to be expressed in a form that can be easily evaluated using standard mathematical techniques.

4. What are some applications of the Gaussian integral with denominator in QFT?

The Gaussian integral with denominator has a wide range of applications in QFT, including in the calculation of particle interaction cross sections, the study of phase transitions in quantum systems, and the calculation of vacuum fluctuations. It is also used in other fields such as statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics.

5. Are there any challenges associated with the Gaussian integral with denominator in QFT?

While the Gaussian integral with denominator is a powerful tool in QFT, it can also present challenges in its calculation. The integrals can become very complicated and difficult to evaluate, especially in higher dimensions. Additionally, there can be issues with convergence and the need for regularization techniques in certain cases.