1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's law in cgs unit system

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is there a constant parrallel to the ε0 permittivity in the Gauss law in c.g.s?

2. Relevant equations
    Coulomb force in m.k.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
    Coulomb force in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
    Gauss's law in m.k.s: ##\frac{N}{A}=\varepsilon_0 E##

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Coulomb's constant k was transformed to ##\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}## in order that the number of field lines N extruding from a surpace round a point charge will equal the net chrage inside the surface:
    [tex]\frac{N}{A}=\varepsilon_0 E\rightarrow \frac{N}{4\pi r^2}=\varepsilon_0 \frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 r^2}\rightarrow N=q[/tex]
    So the ##\frac{1}{4\pi}## term was chosen for that in order to cancel with the area of a sphere.
    I think, in order that N=q will be also in c.g.s we also need ##\frac{1}{4\pi}## term:
    Coulomb's law in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi B}\frac{qq'}{r^2}\rightarrow \frac{1}{4\pi B}=1##

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the cgs system, the Coulomb force is ##F=\frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2} ##,
    ε0=1, D=εE in materials, D=E in vacuum.
    Gauss' Law for a single point charge in vacuum ##\oint{E_n dA} = 4\pi q_{enclosed}##

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    I don't know yet this integral.
    So i am right, right? Coulomb's law in c.g.s: ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{qq'}{r^2}##

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. ##F=\frac{qq'}{r^2}##
    The electric field around a point charge q is radial, and the magnitude is E=q/r2. Integrating is to a sphere of radius r, with the charge in the centre is (4πr2)E = 4πq

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted