Solving Gauss's Law Problem 1: Electric Field for r=3Rsub2

In summary, an expert summarizer of content found that an electric field exists at a distance of 3Rsub2 from the center of a spherical shell with an inner radius of Rsub1 and an outer radius of Rsub2. The electric field is determined by the volume charge density rho=C/r^3 and is equal to 4piC(ln(r) - integral[(1/r^3)(Rsub1^2)dr]).
MichaelT
1. A thick spherical shell has an inner radius Rsub1 and outer radius Rsub2, and for Rsub1 is less than r which is less than Rsub2, a volume charge density rho=C/r^3, where C is a constant. Find Electric Field for r=3Rsub2

My problem here is determining the excess charge of the shell. So I have figured out the volume of the shell to be (4/3)pi(Rsub2^3 - Rsub1^3). I have also realized that to find the excess charge of the shell I can set Rsub2 equal to r. Now, the integration. That is where I am stuck. I am still left with the Rsub1 inside the integral, as well as 1/r^3. What do I do here?

Am I correct that the other integral would be the integral of 1/r dr and become ln(r)?

Please help, I really appreciate it. (Sorry for the mess, I know nothing about Latex)

Physics news on Phys.org
MichaelT said:
My problem here is determining the excess charge of the shell. So I have figured out the volume of the shell to be (4/3)pi(Rsub2^3 - Rsub1^3). I have also realized that to find the excess charge of the shell I can set Rsub2 equal to r. Now, the integration. That is where I am stuck. I am still left with the Rsub1 inside the integral, as well as 1/r^3. What do I do here?
Q = ∫ρ dv. Since ρ depends on r, as does v, you can't separate out the volume integral. (You could if the charge density was constant, not variable.)

Am I correct that the other integral would be the integral of 1/r dr and become ln(r)?
That will come in handy. :wink:

ok. so I did take some constants out to clean it up a little. I have got:

4piC(ln(r) - integral[(1/r^3)(Rsub1^2)dr])

I really can't think of what to do here. I know that I can't take the Rsub1 out of the integral.

Thank you! :smile:

MichaelT said:
ok. so I did take some constants out to clean it up a little. I have got:

4piC(ln(r) - integral[(1/r^3)(Rsub1^2)dr])

You have to start over and redo the integral from scratch, like I suggested:

[tex]Q = \int \rho dv = \int \frac{C}{r^3} dv = \int (\frac{C}{r^3}) (4\pi r^2) dr[/tex]

Aha! And then set the limits of integration from Rsub2 to Rsub1, correct?

R_1 to R_2. (In the direction of increasing r.)

Sorry, that is what I meant. Wow, I feel stupid now LOL. I was approaching it from the wrong direction. Thank you so much, I think I got it now.

Electric field at r=3Rsub2

E= [C(ln(Rsub2/Rsub1)]/9(Rsub2)^2

FAQ: Solving Gauss's Law Problem 1: Electric Field for r=3Rsub2

1. What is Gauss's Law Problem 1?

Gauss's Law Problem 1 is a mathematical problem that involves determining the electric field at a point outside a charged sphere, with the distance from the center of the sphere being equal to three times the radius of the sphere (r=3Rsub2).

2. How do you solve Gauss's Law Problem 1?

To solve Gauss's Law Problem 1, you can use the formula E = q/4πε0R2, where E is the electric field, q is the charge of the sphere, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere. Plug in the given values and solve for E.

3. What is the significance of r=3Rsub2 in Gauss's Law Problem 1?

The distance r=3Rsub2 represents a point that is three times the distance from the center of the sphere to the surface of the sphere. This point is important because it allows us to calculate the electric field at a specific distance from the charged sphere.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the electric field in Gauss's Law Problem 1?

The unit of measurement for the electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the amount of force per unit of charge at a given point in space.

5. How is Gauss's Law Problem 1 used in real-world applications?

Gauss's Law Problem 1 is used in many real-world applications, such as designing electrical circuits, calculating the electric field around power lines, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. It is also an important concept in the study of electromagnetism and plays a role in the development of technology like computer processors and cell phone antennas.