Finding a Gearbox Motor for Torque-Heavy Syringes

• Thread starter bauboya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, a gearbox torque of 2.5 kg is needed to drive the syringe at a good speed. A stepping motor turning a lead screw is one possible solution.
bauboya
gearbox torque?!?

Hi, I don't know much about mechanics and I'm trying to build a mechanism to drive a set of syringes, and I need to buy a gearbox motor to drive the syringe shaft forward and back. the syringe needs to be driven 70mm, and I'm going to attach a rack and gear to the motor to get this motion. however, because of the hydraulics, it actually requires quite a bit of force, and i don't know what gearbox motor will be strong enough to drive it. i didn't know how to measure how much force i need so i put weights on the shaft and it needs 2.5kg to drive forward at a good speed. (it doesn't have to be incredibly fast but i don't want it to be terribly slow either).

could anyone recommend a motor that will be strong enough to drive it at a good pace??
or tell me what information and numbers to look for in the data sheet??

thanks so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org

the speed i want to drive it at is 10mm/sec

U need to buy high torque and low rpm motor to drive the shaft

Buy the brushless motor under the specification
Power: 200 Watts
*.RPM/Volt (KV): 1000
*.Continuous Current: 6-15A
*.Burst Current: 19A*

A 70 mm stroke at 10 mm/sec sounds straight forward. The required power is
P = F dx/dt = 2.5 Kg x 9.81 m/sec2 x 10 mm/sec x 1 m/1000 mm = 0.25 Newton-meters/sec = 0.25 joules/sec = 0.25 watts
So probably a 1 or 2 watt motor will suffice. A stepping motor turning a lead screw is one approach. 70 mm will be 55 turns on a 1/4-20 pitch screw. You can either count digital motor steps or use limit switches at the ends. 10 mm/sec will be about 8 turns/sec. A direct drive 480 RPM stepper motor on a 1/4-20 lead screw will work. The control electronics will be less if you use a DC gear motor geared down to 480 RPM with limit switches.

I don't know anything about steppers, but I definitely agree with Bob about the lead screws. You just can't beat those suckers for power and smooth movement. I use them for all sorts of stuff. They're incredibly easy to make, as well. Just take some threaded rod (or a bolt for short strokes) with a matching nut, and connect the nut to the thing that you want to move.

McMaster Carr on web. they got everything. motors, lead screws, metal, wire etc...

Related to Finding a Gearbox Motor for Torque-Heavy Syringes

1. What type of motor is best for torque-heavy syringes?

The best type of motor for torque-heavy syringes is a stepper motor. This type of motor provides precise control and high torque, making it ideal for applications where accuracy and strength are important.

2. What is the recommended gear ratio for a gearbox motor for torque-heavy syringes?

The recommended gear ratio for a gearbox motor for torque-heavy syringes is typically 50:1 or higher. This ensures that the motor has enough power to turn the syringe with the necessary force.

3. How do I calculate the torque needed for my specific syringe?

To calculate the torque needed for your specific syringe, you will need to know the diameter and length of the syringe barrel, as well as the viscosity of the fluid being dispensed. You can use an online torque calculator or consult with a motor supplier for assistance with this calculation.

4. Can I use a standard motor for torque-heavy syringes?

No, a standard motor is not recommended for torque-heavy syringes. These motors do not have enough power to handle the force needed to turn the syringe, which can result in inaccurate dispensing or motor failure.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a gearbox motor for torque-heavy syringes?

Yes, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using a gearbox motor for torque-heavy syringes. This may include proper installation and maintenance, as well as wearing appropriate personal protective equipment when handling the motor and syringe.