General equation for light intensity entering half circle

In summary, a person is seeking help with calculating the intensity of light that passes through a half circle, using a cylinder as an example. They explain that the intensity of light depends on the angle at which it hits the material, and they are trying to incorporate an integration over the sphere to determine this. They also mention using the Fresnel equations to calculate transmitted and reflected light, and integrating over the surface numerically.
tylerscott
Hello,

I am currently working on a problem to calculate the light that makes it through a half circle. For example, say I put a cylinder out in the sun, where the intensity is known to be 1030 W/m^2. I would like to compute the intensity/energy/power that makes it into this. Now, given the curvature of this half circle, I know this will somehow need to incorporate an integration over the sphere based upon the angle, but I'm thinking I'm missing some fundamental physics equation in the process.

See attached picture for the idea I have in my mind.
MzKZ6SW.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
hello tylerscott! :smile:

doesn't the intensity of the light falling on a body simply depend on how wide it is? :confused:

The intensity falling on it will be constant, yes. But the angle at which the light hits will determine how much is transmitted through the material. This is what I'm trying to figure out.

tylerscott said:
But the angle at which the light hits will determine how much is transmitted through the material.

your diagram shows the light coming "from infinity" (like sunlight) and falling perpendicularly on the cylinder :confused:

what angle do you mean?

the amount of sunlight hitting a body is the measured precisely by the size of its shadow

Hi guys!
I guess you ask that in terms of transmitted and reflected light?
In that case you should compute the fresnel's equations over the sphere surface.

Ah! That's what I was looking for. So, how do you suggest integrating these over the surface?

Numerically with respect to the sphere tangent over small areas, i think

Related to General equation for light intensity entering half circle

What is the general equation for light intensity entering half circle?

The general equation for light intensity entering a half circle is given by:
I = I0 * cos2(θ/2), where I0 is the initial light intensity and θ is the angle between the incident light and the normal to the surface of the half circle.

What does the equation tell us about the relationship between light intensity and angle?

The equation shows that the light intensity entering a half circle is directly proportional to the cosine squared of the angle between the incident light and the normal to the surface. This means that as the angle increases, the light intensity decreases.

How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived using the principles of geometric optics and the law of conservation of energy. It takes into account the geometry of the half circle and the fact that light spreads out as it travels.

Can this equation be applied to other shapes besides a half circle?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any shape with a curved surface, as long as the incident light makes an angle with the surface. It can also be modified for use with other types of light, such as polarized light.

What are some practical applications of this equation?

This equation can be used in various fields such as optics, photography, and astronomy to calculate the amount of light entering a specific area. It can also be used in architectural design to determine the amount of natural light that will enter a building through a circular window or skylight.