General-purpose digital multimeter?

In summary, a general-purpose digital multimeter is a versatile tool used to measure electrical quantities such as voltage, current, and resistance in both AC and DC circuits. It typically has a digital display and can also perform functions such as continuity testing and diode testing. It is commonly used by electricians, technicians, and hobbyists for a wide range of electrical troubleshooting and testing tasks.
tiny iota
Help me out, fellow EE's. Anyone know of a decent, general-purpose digital multimeter? I'm asking your opinion, because I'm sure a lot of you have your personal favorite.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

The Fluke 80 series is a pretty good digital multimeter. It should suffice for normal use.

tiny iota said:
Help me out, fellow EE's. Anyone know of a decent, general-purpose digital multimeter? I'm asking your opinion, because I'm sure a lot of you have your personal favorite.

Thanks!

How much money do you want to spend?

CS

I was thinking in the $50-100 range. I've never really priced one before so I'm not really sure what you get for the money. I'd like to have the basics like AC/DC voltage, current, resistance, continuity, maybe capacitance and frequency.

tiny iota said:
I was thinking in the $50-100 range. I've never really priced one before so I'm not really sure what you get for the money. I'd like to have the basics like AC/DC voltage, current, resistance, continuity, maybe capacitance and frequency.

You can search for the multimeter you want on sites like http://www.digikey.com" . You will get a better idea about costs and functionality of DMM's over there.

Last edited by a moderator:

moe in wichita ks
i am new here, so i hope it ok for me to jump in here. i went to an electronics trade school a couple of years ago. we got a very good meter
it is from a co. named knight i think they have a web site. the model we got was k-260, it might be in your price range. be sides the reg things it checks, small transestors, caps, amps to 10 or 20, hz, diodes it seems to be a good unit. i have been using it a lot sense 03 with no trouble. and its easy on batterys

Ok i know I'm overdoing it but hey its my style...All or Nothing...

This ****er is bad ***.

http://us.fluke.com/virtualdemos/28X_demo.asp

You can hook this baby up over night, then upload this **** into your computer and analyze everything.

Even gives you Frequency and Pulse width measurments.

Last edited:

Somewhat late into the fray, but I am a big fan of the Meterman 37XR and 38XR multimeters (mid-range professional DMMs). They're well-designed and ruggedly built, and have the features a good DMM should (voltage, current, and resistance obviously, but also autoranging, frequency, duty cycle, beep continuity, diode voltage, etc.) They also feature a good blue backlight, decent battery life, and are significantly cheaper (at $100-$150) than Flukes (which I believe are faster and feature life-time warranties?) I believe Fluke bought Meterman at one point, but it seems they've been divested, or rebranded and are now made by Amprobe (I don't know if anything aside from the name and color has changed):
http://www.amprobe.com/cgi-bin/pdc/pgview.cgi?id=main&type=elec

The 38XR also does temperature measurement and has a optional IR PC-link (38-SW) you can pick up for $30. It looks like the 34XR is pretty similar to the other two, with the exception of autoranging (i.e. you have to choose which scale you use when taking measurements). You can also get them NIST calibrated, if this is something you need.

Check out eBay or findchips.com or some such to see what's available from whom, and for how much.

EDIT: I've also heard that Extech meters are decent, but haven't used them myself:
http://www.extech.com/instrument/categories/multimeters/subcategory/multimeters.html

Last edited:

I suppose you younger people have never even seen a Simpson 260 with a mirrowed dial...antique but quite usefull and dependable.

The ultimate meter is still an AVO.
Unbeatable for varying voltages, and can be used to beat users to death with (always useful in test kit)

isly ilwott said:
I suppose you younger people have never even seen a Simpson 260 with a mirrowed dial...antique but quite usefull and dependable.

Sure have...however, the OP was asking about a digital multimeter.

CS

stewartcs said:
Sure have...however, the OP was asking about a digital multimeter.

CS
As I noticed. However, I was not suggesting he buy a 260...just asking about ever having seen one. I agree with the AVO proponent...especially when the budget is a mere $100.00.

Flukes are great but probably not in that price range... Extech makes some pretty decent DMM's for cheap.. Lot's of other functions for the same price as the Fluke (Temp, transistor checker, data logging)

isly ilwott said:

As long as we are allowing for nostalgia, check out some of these beauties but be warned, may bring a tear to the eye :smile:

http://www.supremeinstruments.org/meters.htm"

schroder said:
As long as we are allowing for nostalgia, check out some of these beauties but be warned, may bring a tear to the eye :smile:

http://www.supremeinstruments.org/meters.htm"
Museum quality indeed. Thanks.

The Simpson 260 is still available...brand new.

1. What is a general-purpose digital multimeter (DMM)?

A general-purpose digital multimeter is a versatile electronic tool used by scientists and engineers to measure various electrical quantities, such as voltage, current, and resistance. It typically has a digital display and can be used for a wide range of applications, from basic electrical troubleshooting to advanced circuit analysis.

2. How does a DMM work?

A DMM works by using a combination of measurement circuits and digital processing to convert electrical signals into numerical values that can be displayed on the screen. It typically has probes or test leads that are connected to the circuit or component being tested, and the DMM then measures the electrical properties of that component or circuit.

3. What are the main features to look for in a DMM?

The main features to consider when choosing a DMM include the accuracy and precision of its measurements, the range of electrical values it can measure, the resolution of the display, the type of display (LCD or LED), and additional functions such as data logging, auto-ranging, and auto-shutdown.

4. How do I use a DMM for different measurements?

The specific steps for using a DMM will vary depending on the specific measurement being taken, but in general, you will need to select the appropriate measurement function (e.g. voltage, current, resistance), connect the probes or test leads to the circuit or component, and then read the numerical value on the display. It may be necessary to adjust the range or other settings on the DMM for the most accurate measurement.

5. Can a DMM be used for both AC and DC measurements?

Yes, most general-purpose DMMs have the capability to measure both AC and DC electrical quantities. However, it is important to note that the accuracy and range of the DMM may vary for AC and DC measurements, so it is important to select the appropriate function and range for the specific measurement being taken.