Can I use a multimeter on a multimeter?

• Thread starter Inventor man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multimeter
In summary: It's okay to probe the circuit board with a voltmeter, but be careful not to short circuit the leads. It's okay to probe the circuit board with a voltmeter, but be careful not to short circuit the leads.
Inventor man
So I have two cheap multi-meters and I've been going around the house and my parents car testing it on voltage. One multimeter I can take out the circuti board, I can see the fuse, and resistors and the conductive path lines. So what I am wondering is if I can use my second multimeter (they are both digital) to test voltage/amps/resistance on the circuit board of the first multimeter I have.

Will using test leads on the circuit board do any damage to the multimeter?

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can. But be careful when probing anything with your multimeter. Stay away from current measurements until you fully understand that process. When you put your meter in current measurement mode there is basically a short circuit between the leads.

can you use a knife to open up the packaging of your new knife?=)
But really the ammeter is a dangerous beast it is a good way to blow through fuses in your multimeter.
Just be mindful of what your multimeter is rated to. The fuse should blow first but you could damage the meter itself.

good luck!

oh and try not to scratch the circuit board.

Of course. Just remember it's kind of like doing brain surgery on yourself. :)

I wonder if you could get it to start looping readings. like measure the voltage across a resistor hooked up to the display. that would be cool

I don't know ... it's like holding up a mirror in front of another mirror ... you could rip a hole in the space-time fabric! And don't take a picture of yourself while doing this, either! :eek:

Waltr said:
I wonder if you could get it to start looping readings. like measure the voltage across a resistor hooked up to the display. that would be cool

It is possible for any measuring device to affect the thing its measuring. For example its not a good idea to probe parts of a sensitive radio receiver using a voltmeter as the meter leads can (for example) act like aerials.

1. Can I use any multimeter on any device?

No, it is important to make sure that the range and accuracy of the multimeter matches the device you are testing. Using the wrong multimeter can result in incorrect readings or even damage to the device.

2. Can I use a multimeter to measure AC and DC voltage?

Yes, most multimeters have the capability to measure both AC and DC voltage. Just make sure to switch to the appropriate setting on the multimeter before taking a reading.

3. Can I use a multimeter to test for continuity?

Yes, many multimeters have a continuity testing setting which can be used to check if a circuit is complete or broken. This is useful for troubleshooting electrical connections.

4. Can I use a multimeter to test for resistance?

Yes, most multimeters have the ability to test for resistance. This can be useful for checking the continuity of a wire or for testing the resistance of a component in a circuit.

5. Can I use a multimeter on live circuits?

Yes, but it is important to take proper precautions and follow safety guidelines when using a multimeter on live circuits. Make sure to wear protective gear and use caution when handling live wires.