Understanding the Order of Elements in Factor Groups of Finite Abelian Groups

In summary, the question is asking about the conditions for an element in a finite abelian group G to have order p^2. It is shown that if there exists a single element in G with order kp, k>1, then there is an element with order p^2. This argument can be generalized to higher powers of p.
Mathdope
[SOLVED] General question on cosets

Assume a group G is finite, abelian. Let p^n be a divisor of |G|, p prime, n >1. Let x in G have ord(x) = p (by Cauchy's theorem).

Here's my question. If you now take the factor group of G/<x> you have an element of that factor group that is also of order p. Since the elements of the factor group are cosets of <x> in G, any element has the form <x>g, where g is in G. Thus it would seem that (<x>g)^p = <x>g^p = <x> for some g in G.

What additional fact(s) would make g have order p^2? Is the fact that <x>g has order p in G/<x> enough to guarantee that g has order p^2 in G?

What prevents g^p = e in G?

In particular, how do I know that somewhere in G lies an element of order p^2?

I expect to feel very foolish when I see the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it won't hold in general that G has elements of order p^2. For example, take [itex](\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z})^n[/itex], which has order p^n, and all of whose elements have order p (or 1).

As far as the condition for this to happen, you summarized it when you said "What prevents g^p = e in G?" We can see g will have order p^2 iff this does not happen. One direction is trivial, and the other follows from the fact that g^p lies in <x>, so itself has order p, meaning g has order p^2.

In other words, if there is a single element in G with order kp, k>1, then there is an element with order p^2. You should be able to generalize thisargument to higher powers of p.

StatusX said:
First of all, it won't hold in general that G has elements of order p^2. For example, take [itex](\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z})^n[/itex], which has order p^n, and all of whose elements have order p (or 1).
Thank you. That's what I thought but it seemed as though the problem implied otherwise. This clears it up for me, as I'm no longer trying to prove something that doesn't hold in general (which is apparently why I couldn't get it to work!).

1. What is a coset in group theory?

A coset in group theory is a subset of a group that is obtained by multiplying each element of the subgroup by a fixed element of the group. It is denoted as gH, where g is the fixed element and H is the subgroup.

2. How are cosets related to subgroups?

Cosets are related to subgroups in that they are formed by multiplying a subgroup by a fixed element of the larger group. They can also help determine the number of distinct subgroups in a group.

3. What is the order of a coset?

The order of a coset is equal to the order of the subgroup it is formed from. This is because a coset contains the same number of elements as the subgroup, just in a different order.

4. How do cosets relate to the concept of equivalence classes?

In abstract algebra, cosets are often used to define equivalence classes. This is because cosets can be thought of as a way to partition a group into distinct subsets based on a specific element.

5. Can cosets be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, cosets have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in group theory, algebraic topology, and coding theory. They also have connections to other mathematical structures, such as vector spaces and rings.