Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question regarding continuous functions and spaces

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    Let X be some topological space. Let A be a subspace of X. I am thinking about the following: If f is a cts function from X to X, and g a cts function from X to A, when is the piece-wise function

h(x) = f(x) if x is not in A, g(x) if x is in A

continuous? My intuition tells me they must agree on the closure (or maybe boundary?) of A? If not, any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

This is a pretty broad question (still, I like pretty broads). Some results:

Tietze Extension: If A is a closed subset of a normal space X, and f:A-->R is continuous, then f extends continuously to X (this is constructive result, i.e., there is a method to construct the extension).

If f is a uniformly-continuous function on the rationals, then f extends to the reals. Use the fact that uniformly-continuous functions preserve Cauchy-sequences, and use the continuity condition: f continuous ( in metric or 1st-countable space) iff [(x_n-->x)->(f(x_n)-->f(x))] ; left-right is true in any topological space (use nets instead of sequences for general non-metrizable). Note that continuity alone is not enough: use, e.g: f(x)=1/(x-sqr2), or 1/(x-pi) from rationals to rationals, it is continuous, but does not extend .

There are also results on functions on manifolds defined on individual charts, that can be put together into globally-defined functions, using partitions of unity. This uses the fact that manifolds are paracompact (I think Hausdorff +2nd-countable => paracompact). If you want more detail, let me know, because I need to go to sleep soon.

Harder stil, is the extension of homeomorphisms from a subspace into the superspace. In the case of S^4, if the subspace is trivially-embedded (i.e., unknotted, or any two embeddings are isotopic to each other) , then the maps that extend are precisely those that preserve a quadratic form called the Rohklin form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook