General question regarding solutions to differential equations.

In summary, a solution to a differential equation is a function that, when substituted into the equation, results in a true statement. Singular solutions are constant functions that can also be considered solutions. For example, in the logistic equation dP/dt = rP(1-P/K), P = 0 and P = K are considered solutions. To find these singular solutions, one can use simple inspection or follow a formal theory, which can be complex.
Wiz14
My textbook defines a solution to a differential equation to be a function f(x) such that when substituted into the equation gives a true statement.

What I'm confused about are singular solutions.
For example the logistic equation: dP/dt = rP(1-P/K) where r and K are constants.
My textbook says that P = 0 and P = K are solutions(called equilibrium solutions) since plugging in 0 and K for P give you a true statement, but I thought solutions needed to be functions, not constants. For example why is P = 0 a solution but P = 1 isn't?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wiz14 said:
My textbook defines a solution to a differential equation to be a function f(x) such that when substituted into the equation gives a true statement.

What I am confused about is singular solutions.
For example the logistic equation: dP/dt = rP(1-P/K) where r and K are constants.
My textbook says that P = 0 and P = K are solutions(called equilibrium solutions) since plugging in 0 and K for P give you a true statement, but I thought solutions needed to be functions, not constants.

Constants can be functions too - they're simply called constant functions, e.g. ##f(x) = 2##. They're denoted on the Cartesian plane by a flat (horizontal) line. In this case ##P(t) = 0## and ##P(t) = K## are valid solutions - the meaning is simply that P holds a constant value no matter what the value of t.

For example why is P = 0 a solution but P = 1 isn't?

P = 1 is a solution if and only if K = 1. For any other value of K, the statement is untrue. The LHS is zero (derivative of a constant function is zero), while the RHS is nonzero.

Curious3141 said:
Constants can be functions too - they're simply called constant functions, e.g. ##f(x) = 2##. They're denoted on the Cartesian plane by a flat (horizontal) line. In this case ##P(t) = 0## and ##P(t) = K## are valid solutions - the meaning is simply that P holds a constant value no matter what the value of t.

P = 1 is a solution if and only if K = 1. For any other value of K, the statement is untrue. The LHS is zero (derivative of a constant function is zero), while the RHS is nonzero.

Thank you for your response, it makes sense to me now. I also have another question. After you find the general solution, how do you find these singular solutions? How can you know that you are missing solutions or if you have all of them?

Wiz14 said:
Thank you for your response, it makes sense to me now. I also have another question. After you find the general solution, how do you find these singular solutions? How can you know that you are missing solutions or if you have all of them?

For simple diff. eq.s you can find them by simple inspection, but the formal theory of finding them in difficult cases, and proving rigorously that they are singular solutions is quite involved, see: http://www.math24.net/singular-solutions-of-differential-equations.html

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as the growth of populations, the motion of objects, and the behavior of electric circuits.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

The process of solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors, or numerically, using computer algorithms.

3. What are initial conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the function and its derivatives at a given starting point. These values are used to determine the unique solution to a differential equation, as there may be multiple functions that satisfy the equation.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are particularly useful for modeling dynamic systems and predicting future behavior.

5. Can all differential equations be solved?

No, not all differential equations have analytical solutions. Some equations may require numerical methods to approximate a solution, while others may not have a solution at all. However, many common types of differential equations have well-known solutions and can be solved using established techniques.