General questions about Electric fields and how to manipulate/produce them.

In summary, if you are doing something and your brain is generating an electric field, it's possible to introduce an outside electric field that will interfere with the brain's electric field.
nukeman
If my question is lacking something in terms of its validity, please let me know (I am not too seasoned in electric fields) :)

Here is the source of my question: http://phys.org/news198350025.html

Ok... The brain produces it own electric field, by firing neurons and the chemicals that produce activities in the brain (electrical).

So, as the article suggests, a electric field can interfere with the brains electric field.

I am trying to get a visual image of this. So, when the brain is doing something specific, and creating a certain electric field, is it possible to introduce a outside electric field that will interfere with the brains electric field?

If I was to do some activity, and measure my brains electrical field with a EEG... Then do the same type of activity, but within a different outside electric field (like If I was in a parallel plate capacitor), is that possible?

How does the outside electric field difference (like if I was inside a parallel plate cap), interfere with the brains electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
nukeman said:
I am trying to get a visual image of this. So, when the brain is doing something specific, and creating a certain electric field, is it possible to introduce a outside electric field that will interfere with the brains electric field?
yes
If I was to do some activity, and measure my brains electrical field with a EEG... Then do the same type of activity, but within a different outside electric field (like If I was in a parallel plate capacitor), is that possible?
yes.
How does the outside electric field difference (like if I was inside a parallel plate cap), interfere with the brains electric field?
Electric fields from all sources add together to make the total electric field. Look up "superposition principle".

Ok great.

You are saying that all electric fields add up to one electric force. Does that mean any outside electric field will be canceled out?

Mainly, are you saying that when I introduce an outside electric force, it will both add up to one electric force, but that conversion to one electric field will alter the brains electric field?

An electric field can certainly interfere with the human brain, if it's strong enough.

:devil:If you stick your head in a microwave oven, you'll find it quite capable of affecting you.:devil:Errr...I assume of course you're not that stupid.

Last edited:
nukeman said:
Ok great.

You are saying that all electric fields add up to one electric force. Does that mean any outside electric field will be canceled out?
No. I am saying they all add up. This means that some will cancel and some will reinforce.
Mainly, are you saying that when I introduce an outside electric force, it will both add up to one electric force, but that conversion to one electric field will alter the brains electric field?
No - the brains electric field combines with all the other fields to make the total electric field.
However - outside fields could push charges around in the brain (as with anything) so the brain's electric field will be different from the case where there is no field.

I take it you are interested in stuff like external electric fields affecting other stuff like thoughts, emotions and moods? That's a lot more complicated and afaik nobody has been able to do anything much in that line.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is an electric field produced?

An electric field is produced by electric charges. When a positive and negative charge are placed near each other, they create an electric field that extends between them. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude and distance of the charges.

3. How can electric fields be manipulated?

Electric fields can be manipulated by changing the magnitude or position of the charges that create them. They can also be manipulated by using conductive materials to redirect or shield the electric field.

4. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In simpler terms, electric field is the cause, while electric potential is the effect.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, power transmission, and medical equipment. They are also used in particle accelerators, electrostatic precipitators, and electrostatic painting. Electric fields are also essential in understanding the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.