1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General second order circuit problem - Find V(t) for t > 0

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the circuit above, find [itex]v(t)[/itex] for [itex]t\,>\,0[/itex].

Assume that [itex]v\left(0^+\right)\,=\,4\,V[/itex] and [itex]i\left(0^+\right)\,=\,2\,A[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I made a new diagram:

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]) [tex]i_1\,+\,\frac{i}{4}\,-\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]) [tex]i\,+\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

Now substituting the KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex] equation into the other equation:

Here I am stuck. I don't know how to proceed, any hints? I know that I am supposed to get a second order differential equation for the circuit, but where from?
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2007 #2

Have you done circuits in the s-domain? That would make this problem much easier to solve for. It would become a simple two-mesh problem in which you could use Cramer's rule to solve for with the constraint equation for the dependant source. And I am pretty sure it is not going to be a second order differential equation since there is only one reactive element per mesh.
  4. Apr 3, 2007 #3
    No, I have not done s-domain yet.
  5. Apr 3, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

I think you need to use your substitution to eliminate one of the unknowns, instead of getting an equation that still has both in it. And then you'll need to make an assumption about the form of the solution, differentiate it and plug it back in to solve, and then use the initial conditions for the full form of the final solution. By looking at the circuit, I'd guess the solution is a damped exponential, but it might have other terms....
  6. Apr 3, 2007 #5

With the reference senses you used, you have

and [tex]i_2 = -i[/tex]

You can use this with

KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]) [tex]i\,+\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

to eliminate [tex]i_1[/tex] and [tex]i_2[/tex]
  7. Apr 3, 2007 #6
    I'll second to that, s-domain (laplace) will make your life much more easier ;)
    Neo, are you a mind-reader or something, was about to say about Cramer's rule as well :biggrin:
  8. Apr 3, 2007 #7
    Okay, I'll try s-domain.

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]:

How do I proceed now?
  9. Apr 4, 2007 #8

Since you are looking for a zero input response, you must include the initial conditions in your equation.
    Or you can use the hint I gave you in my previous post and solve the problem in the time domain.
  10. Apr 4, 2007 #9
    Using your hint in a previous post, I obtained a new KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex] equation:

How do I get initial conditions and how to finally solve?
  11. Apr 4, 2007 #10

You must have only one variable.
    Remember that
    [tex]V_{c1} = V_{c2} - R i = V_{c2} + RC_2\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV_{c1}}{dt} = \frac{dV_{c2}}{dt} + RC_2\frac{d^2V_{c1}}{dt^2}[/tex]
    For the initial conditions you must have
    [tex]V_{c2}(0^+)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}(0^+)[/tex]

[tex]V_{c2} = V_{c1} + R i [/tex]
    So, [tex]V_{c2}(0^+) = V_{c1}(0^+) + R i(0^+) = 4 + 2x2 = 8V [/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt} = -\frac{i}{C_2}[/tex]
    So, [tex]\frac{dV_{c2}}{dt}(0^+) = -\frac{i}(0^+){C_2} = \frac{2}{0.5} = 4V/s[/tex]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?