General Solution Linear algebra

In summary, the problem asks to find the general solution to a system of equations, ax+by=0 and cx+dy=0. If ad-bc is not equal to 0, the general solution is cx+dy=0. The solution is x=0, y=0 and this can be determined without actually solving the system by calculating ad-bc and seeing that it is non-zero.
Precursor
Homework Statement
Find the general solution to the system:

[tex]ax+ by= 0[/tex]
[tex]cx+ dy= 0[/tex]

Consider the case when
[tex]ad- bc\neq 0[/tex]

The attempt at a solution
I multiplied the first equation by "c" and the second equation by "a", and then I subtracted the two equations.

I got the following matrix:
[tex]0...ad-bc...0[/tex]
[tex]ac...ad...0[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]ad\neq bc[/tex]. I got the general solution to be [tex]cx+ dy= 0[/tex] from the second row of the matrix. Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. The first line in your reduced matrix corresponds to the equation [tex](ad-bc)y=0[/tex]. Since [itex]ad-bc\ne 0[/itex], y must be zero. I'll let you figure out what x equals.

Ok, since y= 0,

[tex]acx+ ady= 0[/tex]
[tex]acx+ ad(0)= 0[/tex]
[tex]acx= 0[/tex]

So [tex]x= 0[/tex] too?

But that gives a general solution of [tex]0=0[/tex]. Does it make it infinetly many solutions?

You're making this harder than it needs to be. After discovering that y = 0, substitute that value in either of your original equations to solve for x.

There is only one solution to this system of equations.

If I substitute 0 in for y into, say, the first equation, I still get x=0. So is that the general solution?

The solution is x=0, y=0. That is the only solution.

Yes, that's the general solution. But just plugging it into ax+by=0 doesn't prove that. Suppose a=0??

Dick said:
Yes, that's the general solution. But just plugging it into ax+by=0 doesn't prove that. Suppose a=0??

Is there a way, within the scope of this question, to determine whether a=0? Otherwise, I stick with x=0?

Substitute y = 0 into both of your original equations. What do you get? If a = 0, as Dick mentioned, how does the condition that ad - bc != 0 affect things?

If I substitute y=0 into both equations, I get ax=0 and cx=0. If a and c are both 0, then it won't satisfy the condition I stated in the problem. So either one of them is zero or neither. But I still can't see where you are going with this.

Precursor said:
If I substitute y=0 into both equations, I get ax=0 and cx=0. If a and c are both 0, then it won't satisfy the condition I stated in the problem. So either one of them is zero or neither. But I still can't see where you are going with this.

You just got it. If a and c can't both be 0 then one of those equations tells you x=0.

Dick said:
You just got it. If a and c can't both be 0 then one of those equations tells you x=0.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help all of you.

The significance of this problem is that it tells you you don't have to actually solve the system of equations to see that x=0, y=0 is the only solution. You can just calculate ad-bc and see that it's non-zero.

1. What is a general solution in linear algebra?

A general solution in linear algebra refers to the set of all possible solutions to a system of linear equations. It is a combination of both specific and non-specific values that satisfy the given equations.

2. How is a general solution different from a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific set of values that satisfies a system of linear equations, while a general solution encompasses all possible solutions, including the particular solution.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one general solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have infinitely many general solutions. This is because there are infinite combinations of variables that can satisfy the given equations.

4. How do you find the general solution to a system of linear equations?

To find the general solution, you can use methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for each variable in terms of the others. This will give you a general equation that represents all possible solutions.

5. Can a system of linear equations have no general solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have no general solution if the equations are inconsistent or contradictory. In this case, there is no combination of values that can satisfy all the equations simultaneously.