• Start date
Homework Statement
Find the general solution to the system:

[tex]ax+ by= 0[/tex]
[tex]cx+ dy= 0[/tex]

Consider the case when
[tex]ad- bc\neq 0[/tex]

The attempt at a solution
I multiplied the first equation by "c" and the second equation by "a", and then I subtracted the two equations.

I got the following matrix:
[tex]0......ad-bc......0[/tex]
[tex]ac......ad......0[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]ad\neq bc[/tex]. I got the general solution to be [tex]cx+ dy= 0[/tex] from the second row of the matrix. Is it right?

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Nope. The first line in your reduced matrix corresponds to the equation [tex](ad-bc)y=0[/tex]. Since [itex]ad-bc\ne 0[/itex], y must be zero. I'll let you figure out what x equals.

Ok, since y= 0,

[tex]acx+ ady= 0[/tex]
[tex]acx+ ad(0)= 0[/tex]
[tex]acx= 0[/tex]

So [tex]x= 0[/tex] too?

But that gives a general solution of [tex]0=0[/tex]. Does it make it infinetly many solutions?

You're making this harder than it needs to be. After discovering that y = 0, substitute that value in either of your original equations to solve for x.

There is only one solution to this system of equations.

If I substitute 0 in for y into, say, the first equation, I still get x=0. So is that the general solution?

The solution is x=0, y=0. That is the only solution.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, that's the general solution. But just plugging it into ax+by=0 doesn't prove that. Suppose a=0??

Yes, that's the general solution. But just plugging it into ax+by=0 doesn't prove that. Suppose a=0??

Is there a way, within the scope of this question, to determine whether a=0? Otherwise, I stick with x=0?

Substitute y = 0 into both of your original equations. What do you get? If a = 0, as Dick mentioned, how does the condition that ad - bc != 0 affect things?

If I substitute y=0 into both equations, I get ax=0 and cx=0. If a and c are both 0, then it won't satisfy the condition I stated in the problem. So either one of them is zero or neither. But I still can't see where you are going with this.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If I substitute y=0 into both equations, I get ax=0 and cx=0. If a and c are both 0, then it won't satisfy the condition I stated in the problem. So either one of them is zero or neither. But I still can't see where you are going with this.

You just got it. If a and c can't both be 0 then one of those equations tells you x=0.

You just got it. If a and c can't both be 0 then one of those equations tells you x=0.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help all of you.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
The significance of this problem is that it tells you you don't have to actually solve the system of equations to see that x=0, y=0 is the only solution. You can just calculate ad-bc and see that it's non-zero.