Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution to the circuits

1. Jul 25, 2006 #1
    assuming that the circuit will lead to infinite, but converging, and R1,R3,R5 are in increasing magnitude, R2 is constant, is there a general formula for this problem?

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Not that I could help you with your question anyhow, but it might be a good idea for you to re-post your diagram. I can't even see the lettering on it.

4. Jul 25, 2006 #3

SGT

The equivalent resistance of the ladder network is [tex]R_2[/tex] in parallel with the rest of the ladder (from [tex]R_1[/tex] to infinity).
    If I understood it well, [tex]R_2[/tex] is the solution. For the resistance of a parallel connection to be equal to one of the resistances, the other one must be infinity.

5. Jul 25, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

My apologies, killingb... I didn't realize until now that the picture was enlargeable after opening. :redface:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  6. Jul 25, 2006 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what the question is.

If you lable the left input as A B and the right output as C D.

Then the measured resistance A B will never be greater than R_2,1 or less than sqrt(R_2,1^2 + R_1^2).
    The measured resistance at C D will never be > R_n + R_2,n or < R_n.
    The measured current through R_2,n will aproach 0.

Where does the infinity come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?